Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Thanks for posting that JP. Given todays equipment, anything can be faked in the movies. Its neat to see the director insisted the actors learned some of the skills required to make these shots. Its also nice to see Lars getting some respect and credit for his unique ability and his wiliness to share his technique with the actors.

·
Locomo
843 Posts
Have you got it perfected Joe?. :)
I have to pay attention loading one arrow at a time!.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Thanks for posting that JP. Given todays equipment, anything can be faked in the movies. Its neat to see the director insisted the actors learned some of the skills required to make these shots. Its also nice to see Lars getting some respect and credit for his unique ability and his wiliness to share his technique with the actors.
Respect? He's got like 10 million views. Pretty sure he has a lot of respect. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Respect? He's got like 10 million views. Pretty sure he has a lot of respect. Lol

Ya....look around on the trad forums, majority call him a circus act. Lots of those views on his videos resulted in down playing his skills.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hollywood is exactly where Lars belongs. Everything else is fake there, at least he's getting them to use real arrows in movies! That and his skills are visually exciting. Should be a fun film.

It was pretty depressing to see every arrow fired in movies these days just being a computer-generated image of what they think an arrow looks like flying perfectly flat over a quarter mile.

Ignoring all the silly comments about "historical accuracy" or this being "Robin Hood for grown-ups", it looks like it could be a fun night at the movies. Still like Russel Crowe's Robin Hood, too.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
The day Lars does any of his stunts with a useful draw weight is the day he'll get some respect.

I think that for European archery the Costner Robin Hood will stay king and for Eastern it's going to be War of the Arrows (which was pretty cool).

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
The day Lars does any of his stunts with a useful draw weight is the day he'll get some respect.

I think that for European archery the Costner Robin Hood will stay king and for Eastern it's going to be War of the Arrows (which was pretty cool).
Lars: Most actors trained with different strength bows and had different for film recordings
The strongest training bows were 80 pound longbows but all the others were less powerful

A war bow is about 80 -160 pounds. Should one be critical is everything less wrong!
A 30 pound is wrong but also a 60 pound is also wrong.
Should the actors have learned to use historical power bows, they would spend at least one year extra just on strength training
and yet they could not use it during movie recording.

Sincerely
Lars

Your not alone in your thinking though, plenty of trad guys who discredit the 3d winners saying they would like to see how good they would do if they shot real hunting weight bows like themselves.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Kind of weird to focus on close quarters type stuff, but I guess that's what looks cool on the big screen. I'm sure I'll watch it and enjoy it for what it is. Seems like an archery movie for archers would need the pacing of a Coen Brothers film to work out.

Lar's take on history is entertaining if nothing else. Reminds me of stoned out conspiracy theorists pedaling really well developed nonsense.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ya....look around on the trad forums, majority call him a circus act. Lots of those views on his videos resulted in down playing his skills.
Trad forums are not trick shot forums. You don't see Addington or Bryon on most of them because they aren't catered to their style. It's like saying the NFL isn't respected as a football sport when using European forums as the sole demographic. Their main football is not the same as USAs main football and one shouldn't expect a different outcome. But when the regular folk see Lars on Facebook, you see a different reaction because they don't have a particular crowd that they hang with. If you think that he's getting all these views are because of Trad forum people to use as talking down on his skills, you are mistaken. Lol.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I couldnt bring myself to watch another whole video full of Lars.

But he was half right about avoiding the arrows.

Most movies act like they are unavoidable bullets which is really wrong. At 30 or more yards you could probably dodge any period bow and arrow if you were looking and ready. That said at those indoor distances they were at it would be really hard to dodge an arrow from a reasonable powered bow with real arrows.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Whoever watches this new Hollywood garbage is feeding the machine which turns out shit like that continuously. Most Americans get their history lessons from Hollywood.
No wonder they have no glue. Heck, some Shakespeare Henry V is better than some of the new Hollywood stuff.
A lot of movie stories have great potential, but then the non-sense sets in and it is ruined. Sometimes it is the budget but more often it is the directors who mess up the script for dramatic reasons. Most often these dramatic reasons ruin the movie.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Whoever watches this new Hollywood garbage is feeding the machine which turns out shit like that continuously. Most Americans get their history lessons from Hollywood.
No wonder they have no glue. Heck, some Shakespeare Henry V is better than some of the new Hollywood stuff.
A lot of movie stories have great potential, but then the non-sense sets in and it is ruined. Sometimes it is the budget but more often it is the directors who mess up the script for dramatic reasons. Most often these dramatic reasons ruin the movie.
Couldn't agree more but it is what the public wants and demands so if you want historical accuracy today you are sol.:2cents:

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I couldnt bring myself to watch another whole video full of Lars.

But he was half right about avoiding the arrows.

Most movies act like they are unavoidable bullets which is really wrong. At 30 or more yards you could probably dodge any period bow and arrow if you were looking and ready. That said at those indoor distances they were at it would be really hard to dodge an arrow from a reasonable powered bow with real arrows.
Only watched the 1st couple minutes including the clip "proving" arrows could be dodged - they used an Archery Tag Tm set up at looked like 25 to 30 yards. I have an Archery Tag business. The bows are 28# and the arrows are 650 grs. At 20 yds, they drop 4 ft - even 10 year olds have no issues avoiding them. They need to try it with 50# plus set up with 10 gpp.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.