Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
im am wondering about this some while.
And i searched, but didnt ffind anything usefull. (Please feel free to tell if im wrong)

The last few years, the points in competition come very close on both type of bows. Sometime the Longbow class have more points, some times the traditional Recurves.

Longbow = laminated fiberglass and a shelf longbow (1 or 2 piece)
trad. Recurve = one piece fiberglass laminated hunting recurves

for me, i cant see a perfomance diofference in these two bows.
theoratically a recuve may be faster, and a longbow more forgiving ...

what do you think? or have measure ments of?
for comparision reasons i would say around 60 inches bow lenght

im intrested and looking forward to an intresting talk about this

in my case, i like the quiet and easy storage of a nice 2 piece td longbow
what do you think= / recommend?

from frresh spring germany
Phil

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
It might be so in IBO but not IFAA Field/3D where longer distances are involved and the advantages of Rec with carbons and 3 under against Longbow wood arrows and split finger are more apparent.

When I shoot Rec Im a good 50 points up on my normal Longbow scores

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Take all the weight gadgets and heavy fancy risers away,,,just a bare off the shelf Recurve,,,and you would be more like a Trad Bow,,and less like an Olympic Bow. Target is much different than Hunting simulated courses,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats why i defined trad recurve (simple bow of the shelf)
i wont go into detail with the shaft material.

but lets say equal shafts and draw weights

·
Super Moderator
7,966 Posts
our top longbows and recurves were within 2 fps as far as speed goes. thats a reflex/deflex longbow and top rated recurve field and hunting bows.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
"or me, i cant see a perfomance diofference in these two bows.
theoratically a recuve may be faster, and a longbow more forgiving .."

That depends largely on the design and the shooter,,,objectively speaking, a Recurve is easier to shoot by most.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
intrestin, i always felt the longer nock to nock made longbow way easier

but now, as we see they are fps equal. which way to go? :)
i like the flat / longbow style more

only way for me is a bow like a bw psr, with that simple handle
the big chunky handles is nothin for me

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
only way for me is a bow like a bw psr, with that simple handle
the big chunky handles is nothin for me
In that case I doubt you will see any real performance increase. The limbs are not much difference performance wise, it's all in the riser.
Also recurves are regularly 66-70" these days, with better string angles then longbows of the same length.

-Grant

·
Registered
459 Posts
Testing done on the Black Swan recurve limbs verses the hybrid limbs has the speed the same with lighter arrows. The hybrid limbs are more efficient and faster as the arrow weight increases. The limbs are constant in the Black Swan system. You change the riser to go from 58" to 62". I can use the same string for both recurve and hybrid limbs on my 13" riser. Same for my 17" riser. String angles are constant on all set ups. The risers are sleek but only made of aluminum now.
Stoutstuff

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't see much difference in performance between my recurves and longbows when using the same arrow material, but I can shoot higher scores with the recurves. The differnce I think is in the risers. It is not as easy for me to repeat the same grip shot after shot with the straight longbow riser as it is with the contoured riser of the recurve.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
havent seen a 70 inch traditional hunting recuve, could you show me?
If you want vintage there are a bunch of target bows from the 60s and 70s.

If you want new then there are a few manufacturers who would do it, although it would be easier to do with a take-down.

Also weren't we talking about competition? When did hunting bows come into it?

-Grant

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i mentioned 3d tournamnts,
thats weere i am most of the time
on 15y boar it wont matter

and i always ,emt simple bows aroud 60 inches,
no stabilizers, no weights and stuff

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Make your recurve as long as your longbow and it'll be easier to shoot.
Otherwise its not apples to apples.

I'm not talking sights or stabs. Those 60s and 70s target bows are one-piece and around 66-69".

If you want to shoot 3D then there are advantages to shooting the most accurate bow that fits within the rules.
For FITA instinctive division that would be a 21-25" wood riser and some good ILF limbs.

-Grant

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
When I lived in UK the NFAS had a Rec div that also shoot wood arrows, split finger, the top one or two Longbows would be up with these Recurves but if you took the top 50 or so you would see a lot more Recuves, specially in top 30 and maybe another 4-5 Longbows in those 30.

Average Deer shot was 35y to 45y with no max distance.

It indicates to me everything being equal the the Recurve has an advantage over longer distances because of extra riser mass, if the Longbow is a more stable design why they dont shoot Longbows or even ILF longbow limbs in the Olympics?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Hill said, "I'm not good enough to shoot a recurve." Don't really know what that meant for sure - I think a longbow is more forgiving.

I think the best way to find out is to get a 3 piece bow with two sets of limbs, one longbow, one recurve. Put a sight on the bow and start shooting. Keep score for a good sample and compare the two limbs.

RER Bow builds that type of bow. Pretty sure Kevin donated one to PBS or Compton. If you wanted to try a metal riser looks like a Swan would work.

It would be unfair to compare say a metal ILF risered recurve to a wood longbow. If you get my point?

Bowmania

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Hill also shot in a time when recurves had tiny risers and limb geometry hadn't been figured out very well yet.

But time marches on and people continue to reference that comment.

Also length plays into it. If all you have are 68" longbows and 58" recurves then it's very likely you will shoot the longbow better. Even the length and watch the recurve move ahead, especially because you don't need as much limb with the recurve so you can have more riser.

-Grant

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
I shoot a metal riser, carbon/foam 3pc longbow far better than a metal riser, carbon/foam 3pc recurve. I think the longbow limbs almost elliminate the left/right errors, vertically more stable-I think. jmho :2cents:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts