Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is is possable to laminate 5 or 6 pieces of boo together to use as a board to make a bow with?

If it is, how do you process natural boo into flats? I have a ton of boo growing in my woodline, some of it rather large that I would like to do this with.

·
Podunk
478 Posts
It all depends on the type of bamboo you have.
It's been a while since I've glued up bamboo backed bows but as I remember, the best bamboo for a bow would come from south east Asia, particularly from the Gulf of Tonka.
What seperates good bow bamboo from all the rest is in the amount and density of what some call the "power fibers" in the bamboo. The individual bamboo staves have to be wide enough and thick enough so that when they are reduced to a useable size, the individual lams consist mostly of these highly desired power fibers.
Check out Dean Torges's book, Hunting the Bamboo Backed Osage Bow. He has a lot of good information about bamboo and will probably help you get at least half way to where you want to go.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yes, it would depend on the type of bamboo you have growing in your yard. Moso bamboo gets pretty big and it was once used by fly rod makers. Tokin Cane bamboo is the most desired by rod makers. I read in Jack harrison's book how he made lams from Tokin cane. He used a bundle (20 clums) to get enough lams to build a bow. Not much return for the investment.
But what the heck, give it a shot. Winter is coming, time for a project, right?
Make sure you heat treat the boo, otherwise it will act like a wet noodle.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any idea where I can get non tapered bamboo slats that are 6ft (72") long?

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
give Mike at Dryad bows a call. you need a piece about 2" wide. flatening and tapering the bamboo is a lot of work. you are going to need a sharp plane. you can flatten the boo (from the belly, don't work the back) with a belt sander, then taper with a plane. I built a wooden plane just to taper the bamboo.

anyways. Mike has got the bamboo for backing. bty shipping is way over the length limit and there is a over lenght shipping charge.

I have made several. Lot of fun.

rusty

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got plenty of bamboo slats, don't know what the shipping would be. Moso 6'X2"X1/4". Check out the shipping cost from zip 39195 and get back if interested. Would need to ship in pairs. $20 a pair plus shipping
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
HI JAMESV, welcome to the forum.
Just a heads up, your own thread, your own post anyway, after you enter it then see incorrect items, you can use the EDIT button and go in & make changes, then hit SAVE button.
HA reason I'm aware of this is obvious......I screw it up a bunch.

·
Sitting Bull
1,682 Posts
Is the type of Bamboo that hardwood flooring is made from okay for using on a bow? That's 3 laminates already glued up, if it would tiller. Add a riser block and you'd be good to go.

·
Premium Member
4,643 Posts
I believe Action Boo is laminated flooring.
I have a few bamboo lams and they look the same.

When you get into building bows a thickness sander is a must have tool.
Love mine and I can make any lam, tapered or straight.
Also sand with a 36 or 50 grit paper and you make them ready for gluing in one shot.

Erich

·
Podunk
478 Posts
You might also consider preparing the glue up faces of the slats with a toothing plane. Using this method actually doubles the surfaces areas to be glued together and creates a permanent bond.
Also, building a bamboo backed wood bow might be a good project to tackle too. Limb profile, final draw weight and tiller would be more predictable. Use the toothing plane on that riser block too cause if you don't, it'll pop off in your hand.
One more thing. A well built bamboo backed bow can really smoke an arrow too!

·
Registered
30 Posts
WA Bamboo flooring comes in plain sawed and qaurter sawed ,if I were you I would try the plain sawed first , tiller each lamb before glue up , go a few inches longer on total lenght on first try ,use the carmelized or natural it don,t much matter wich, check moisture content before tillering and glueing Bamboo soaks up moisture like a sponge,use a drying box not a heat box to get moisture where you want it, A Bamboo laminated bow build is pretty intense not like a Bamboo backed bow, try a Bamboo Backed Osage first if you haven,t already, you may be a master for all I know. Have fun if you have any more ques just contact JAWG , best of luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts