Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody use them? How good are they?Do they remain fairly straight?ETC.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I use 'em and love em. I'm running on the same dozen I bought a year ago, 11/32 with the rear 11" hand-tapered down to 5/16" I've only ever managed to break them due to improper retrieval (for example... trying to get one out of a wet, rotten hay bale only to find that while moving the bale I flexed the shaft and snapped it). I've never broke or damaged one during target, stump, or hunt shooting, and that includes ricocheting them off trees, shooting them into boards, etc. They're a durable, heavy shaft.
Mine were fairly straight starting out, and I was able to straighten mine without a lot of extra effort (didn't have to heat them, etc).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Heavy, fairly easy to straighten and finish. I use a "shaft tamer" which is basically a cylindrical piece of steel with a groove in the middle that you use to compress the high side of a shaft with a rolling motion. Short of a side swipe against a tree they are indestuctible under normal use. The last ones I made a couple of weeks ago were 21/64 diameter, 55 - 60 lb and a 29 in. finished arrow weighed about 600 grains w/125 grn 11/32 pt. Every shaft was 57 - 58 lbs on my tester so they are remarkably consistent. Don't confuse them with hexshafts which are also manufactured but in my experience are awful to work with, virtually impossible to straighten.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.I was using hexshafts, now use Douglas fir,I like them,fairly straight but not as heavy as I thought.I going stump shooting tomorrow and will put them to the ultimate test lol.
I will order a dozen of those laminated birch shaft soon :shooting: .
Serge

·
Registered
99 Posts
Say Hal, where did you get your shafts? Since it's time to dream up some sure fire stuff for this fall this seems like a chance to make up a new dozen of something I don't already shoot. JW

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey john....call Lamont Granger @ the Footed Shaft 507 288 7581 Tell him I told you to call...oh yeah, they're cheap to...$36 per dozen.. good to see you lurking John! You missed a big time at Appling this year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hal:

Thanks for the shaft info. Janet and I had planned all spring to make the shoot and I wanted to shoot both recurve and longbow events, but she came down with a very bad case of early onset shingles. It just knocked the pins out from under her and with her meds hasn't even been able to drive. We switched doctors and she's doing better, and hope she's back to prime by deer season. The deer just seem to materialize wherever she is so I stick close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts