Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been very hectic and busy wince a flood wiped out most of everything at "work"

We are now at Summer Camp, very limited and poor internet connection and almost zero Cell coverage here... but will check in when we can. We are busy getting set up for the first of 9 weeks of teaching archery to the summer campers at Lakeshore in Eva TN (http://www.lakeshoreuma.com/)

Here we are rolling out of Memphis, TN

And arriving to camp:

The "range" needs some work and a few upgrades and repairs but we can make this work!

The real fun begins tomorrow!
We have our first group of 25 kids at 0930.

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After careful consideration I decided there were just too many safety issues with the existing range to suit my stringent requirements. So we moved the range out to the open field in front of our cabins. Didn't thing the kids would miss that badly to actually hit the cabins. I have (only) one hole in a front door to show to the contrary.

The astute observers might notice our existing targets are beyond ratty to the point of being downright pitiful. but It's what we have to work with. they atop arrows, mostly. I'm really glad we brought our three bag targets with us. some of the kids wanted to shoot the 30# recurves and were blowing right through the big foam ones.

OK on to the pictures!

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
08 june 2010

Man are we fried, both mentally and from sunburn... had about 60 kids cycle through the range today. We have each group or "cabin" come through during the day for a 1.5 hours session. 2 or three cabins per day, so each cabin gets a minimum of 3 sessions on the range during their week at camp...

Also each evening from 1830 to 2000 they have optional "interest groups" where kids can sign up for an "extra" activity they would like to do or do again.... Basket weaving, rock painting, swimming, water-skiing, etc.... We have heard from the counselors that archery is the first and fastest interest group to fill up. And that kids are actually waiting in line to sign up before they put out the blank sign-up sheets out. I just checked tomorrows sign up sheet, and it's already full with 25 names plus the 10 stand-by's.

We are very gratified and quite overwhelmed by the reception archery has had.

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i may digress for a moment.... I want to emphasize that, without the support I have received from YOU, the Membership of Trad Talk, none of this would have been possible.

Your donations of arrows, bows, finger-tabs, arm guards, even funds are greatly appreciated. And this is where it's all going. But it goes deeper than that, the moral and spiritual support has really been the key motivating factor. Specifically this sub-forum "Givin' Back", well it just say's it all to me. It's all about Givin' Back.

I really really want each and every one of you to look at all those smiling faces, and know that you played a major role in helping to put those smiles there. Certainly some more that others, but I'll not name names out of respect for their privacy, or at their request.

Thank-You ALL!!!

Well gotta go to group worship in "The Big Hall".

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sad news.. my digital camera was destroyed when it was left on a picnic table while we all ran for cover from a sudden but torrential & sustained downpour.

I'm a bit torn between replacing the camera versus putting the money towards some new targets.... Right now the bigger need is for targets for the kids to shoot at instead of me taking pictures of the kids shooting. And without targets, I have nothing to take pictures of.. so I guess that pretty much solves my quandary. Thanks!

soon as the memory card dries out enough I'll tempt fate and stick it into the laptop and attempt to retrieve any pictures that may have been on it.

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Enjoying a few hours of downtime before I get slammed with 250 (+/-) new kids this week.... Since it is a "short" week due to the holiday, this is going to be heck of a busy one, they are all coming through the range in 4 days, instead of the normal 6 days.

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Week 5 @ Lakeshore UMA 2010

I included the first 2 pictures of our Camp's Activities Director.... he's spraying down the tarmac where some kids puked all over. I wonder if that's in his job description?

and on to the pictures of kids shooting arrows

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And our range is really shaping up.. it only took 5 weeks and about a thousand dollars to get it where it is now:

After trying what I believe to be almost every brand and type of target on the market, I have concluded there are none better for a youth group than the Rinehart NASP target.

Our price even through the NASP Purchase Program is a whopping $210.00 each but I swear those Rinehart targets are amazing, and worth every penny.

Arrows stick well even from 10# bows, they are easy to pull, they "self heal" and don't look like [email protected] after only a few thousand shots (just as advertised)

The really nice part is that the "stand" is built directly into the target and stray arrows are not destroyed by clanging into the metal stands, or bouncing all the way back to the shooting line.

These kids are pounding the heck out of these targets, and I'm finding I need to re-stuff the "bag" targets about every 3-4 weeks to keep arrows from
passing through them. We also purchased 20 hay bales to serve as an additional safety measure.

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
and various fauna:

Sally (Jack Russel) and Chance (Beagle) our Range Dogs:

A visiting dragon-fly:

two of teh 4 doe that mock me:

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It was a bad week to be an arrow

The below image represents our total investment in program arrows 40 dozen (+/-).

On the left are all the arrows from the previous 4 weeks that were damaged and repaired and put back into service. ( 3 not shown were damaged beyond repair)

On the right are all the arrows, from week 5 alone, that are in need of some sort of repair, except for about 8 that are now tomato stakes.

·
Got Shemagh?
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't know when I'll have time to post more pictures, it's chaos here but I'm working on them!!!!

Been crazy busy here, only 2 weeks left and we shut it down, I'm really kinda sad it's ending but on the positive side I've burned down almost 60 days of leave off my pay account. It truly has been an amazing summer, one I will cherish for the rest of my life.

I found this posted on one of my friends pages and I think it is really sums up my experiences here:

There comes a time in life when you walk away from all the pointless drama and people who create it, and surround yourself with wonderful people who make you smile and laugh so hard that you forget the bad and focus on the good.

pretty deep stuff

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
WOW...sounds hectic...maybe I could help next time...should be out of a job by then next year....congrats on showing them such a good time...believeme they will remember this forever.....nothing but smiles in the pics...they are priceless.

I agree with the quote too. I try to surround myself with positive ppl only....we helped some ppl out just the other day that are making a trip around the world...they are from switzerland and they broke an axle on their trailoer so a friend of mine and I got them back on the road.

That made my day..knowing we could help them out...they will pass that on as they go too.

here's just a small video of that...I know it's not archery ( but actually I had met them before this happened and taught them how to shoot my bow) here's a pic of Phillipe shooting...I also let the three of them shoot my 12 gauge shotgun...WOW should have seen their eyes....hahahaha), but it is GENEROSITY none the less.

pic of shooting and video (that's MY PINZGAUER - the green one in the pic too).

all done and axle mounted on the bumper for the 500 km ride back to the trailer where one fella had to stay to guard the goods.

now the video...you can see their website at www.oncearoundtheworld.com too

these guys are some of the nicest ppl I have met...you can click on the interactive map on their website too and see the trip so far.

Jer Bear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.