Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we use these knives exclusively in the restaurant and at home. they are the single best i have ever bought and cheap enough to be disposable. they are the kind you can hold a tomato and just slice without feeling the edge cut either side. just use a steel to retain edge as the material is very thin. they last three to five months with hard use in the restaurant and many years at home. when i see a sale i but a full box of them and give them as gifts to friends and relatives.
Kiwi Brand Knives from Thailand
Just an unbelievable very sharp vegetable cleaver, made in Thailand. For those on a limited budget, this series of "Kiwi" brand knives from Thailand are an excellent buy, very good value. Can't find a sharper knife for the money and for some miraculous reason, they stay sharp for a long, long time. Great for student cooks, and college students and general kitchen use. Highly recommended. these are typical prices at a vietnamese grocery. we use the middle two. blunt end at home, pointed at the restaurant. didn't copy the cleaver pics.

12" total length x 2.5" width (0.31 lb) - top photo - $6.95
11" length x 2" width with a blunt end (0.19 lb) - 2nd photo - $4.95
11" length x 2" width, pointed end (0.19 lb) - 3rd photo - $4.95
7.5" length x 1" width, paring knife (0.09 lb) - 4th photo - $2.95
13.5" length x 4" width (0.75 lb) - left photo - $14.95
12" length x 3" wide (0.62 lb) - right photo - $9.95

·
Registered
599 Posts
Larry, I bought an Alaskan Ulu a couple weeks ago. I'm very impressed with it so far $15. I'll look.into yours too. Can't have too many knives. Dick

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
After years of fighting with lousy kitchen knives I bought a used Henckels via e-bay. Money well spent. Have since bought a couple others. A good edge is a safety feature, whatever it costs.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have henckels and wusthoff at home to. i have not used them at all since bringing one of these home. they are sharp and thin. you can slice onion without crushing. no more tears. best buy is at a vietnamese grocery.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My two favorite knives..

Fist: An old "Green River" styled skinner, on which I replaced the scales.
Second,

A Henkels chef knife that my son "modified" for me back in 1983, by breaking to tip off.

I refinished it as you see it now.

Have not used anything but a steel on it in 35 years.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks, Sam

I no longer make knives, just buy the blanks, shape the tangs and make the scales.

Couple years ago, I found a split block of "unusual" maple in my wood pile.

Set it aside and when I cut it, found it to be the most beautiful tiger maple imaginable.

Had enough for scales on ten knives.

I cry, when I think of the p[otential hundreds of dollars of tiger maple that I burned..

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Lots of good blanks for sale and unless a guy is gonna make a bunch of knive's it it is not necessary to buy much steel.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Interesting thread ....
.... have any of you guys tried knives with Ceramic blades ... they're becoming pretty popular here in the UK.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I'm always looking for something sharp. If those knives are half as good as you say, they are a great deal.
Doug

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
phil, ceramic blades are nice for some things. not for heavy duty use though. the edges are very thin and also brittle and can chip. the upside is that most manufacturers will resharpen for free.
the ones i see are from 100-300+ usd. no bargain price ceramics i know of!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My last endeavor..

A skinner blank that I finished with Tiger Maple.

Steel is CPM S30V, arguably one of the best steels for knives..

Just that it is an absolute beast to reshape the blade edge the way I want.

Finally, can cut a Kleenex tissue.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Webster
..That's a little beauty. Well done

1 - 17 of 17 Posts