Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hmmmmm..... never considered hauling frames in one????? I'll have to give it a try. :)

I hear they're great, I'd love one, just not within my budget right now.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yesireee!

The website shows a pic of craig boddington carrying a 165 boar!

How many frames ya got? :cheers:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have looked into the Kifaru's but I never could bring myself to pay the price. Other good choices depend on waht you are going to be using it for. If you are going for a meat hauler I would recomend an external frame. Guiding here in Nevada for Elk I would never carry an internal frame to pack out an Elk. External just seem tougher to me and you can get a good external frame from Cabela's for a decent price if you buy their top end frames. Pull the bag off of the frame and you have a meat hauling machine. If you are going to be backpack hunting then a good sturdy internal like a Badlands or Kifaru might be a good choice, but the limitations to lots of internal packs is the ability to fit an Elk quarter into them. Badlands has a new pack and I believe that it is called the Badlands 2800, the nice thing about it is that it unfolds down the center and turns into a meat hauler while still having plenty of compartments for gear. I will be looking into it for my backpack hunt this coming year.

Many guys on this site are bow junkies (me included) but I am also a backpack junkie and I am embarassed to admit how many packs I have. Packs get addicting just like bows, so be carefull!!!!!! :)

Good luck in your pack buying.

Nevada

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You might check ebay Stag.I have seen some super deals on good packs there.I saw the better external frame from Cabelas sell for $40 last year! I forgot when the auction was ending and did not check my bid. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you're looking at external frames, I've got a buddy that uses a Bull Pac. I've put it on and is comfortable. The frame holds more than I can. Seem to be real sturdy and I didn't think they were priced too high. Website below.

http://www.bullpacs.com/

O'B

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OB,

I bought a Bullpacs last year and it was the WORST pack frame imaginable. No adjustment in the harness was a joke. I couldnt put 40# on it and walk around my house without wanting to throw it off my back.

Nevada,

I had the same impression as you did of external vs internal. Have you been to Kifarus website? Its WWW.KIFARU.NET

Check out the construction as well as the testimonials. Let me know what ya think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I was looking at the Siwash with the cargo chair. $$$$$ seems to be the problem. Eventually, I'll probably get one, but for now I'll make do with what I've got. It's more of a want instead of a need. I really like there stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm curious where you're at in Nevada??? I grew up in Sparks. Used to hunt northern Nevada with my dad when I was a kid.

O'B

·
Registered
146 Posts
Stag,

I have looked at the KIFARU web site and I do agree that their packs look really good. They seem to have figured out the internal VS external debate by making their packs be both. When I bought my last frame I looked into their packs alot. In all of my searching of forums I only ever found one bad review and it was a REALLY BAD review, but the owner of KIFARU somehow found the review and made an offer to the guy to meet him and try one of his packs again before giving a negative review. The second review the individual posted was much better than the first. Overall I think I would own a KIFARU if I could just justify spending that much money on a pack!!! I think if you bought one that you would not be dissapointed. If you do buy one post back here and let us know how it works. I am really interested if the hauler frame will really hold up with reapeted trips of 80#'s of elk meat!

O'B,

I grew up in Reno and hunted all of that same country to the North of Reno for many years. I now live in Ely and don't get to hunt that country as much anymore but overhere we got the best Elk hunting in the country so I'm not complaining.

Cheers,

Nevada

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aside from planning a trip out west my local passion is hunting for Sika Deer here in the marshlands of Md`s eastern shore. I get WAY in those swamps and have to carry all the gear I need to spend a day.

Im hoping that instead of dragging a 35-70# animal for 2 miles plus I can carry everything on my back.

EVERYTHING I carry including my treestand is the absolute lightest known to man!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts