Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a compound hunter for the last 15 year and planing on switching to trad gear only this season. It occurred to me today that keeping an arrow nocked while on stand could be problematic without a full containment arrow rest......any tricks of the trade to keep an arrow nocked while sitting for long periods?

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
Webster, what time of year do you hunt with sandals on your feet?
YIKES

Reactions: KineKilla

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Medicsnokes, 3Rivers has what you want. Part #7723 Kwik-Lok Arrow Holder. I can't see hunting without one.

Traditionalarcheryproducts.com has similar version that I have not tried. It's called Stic-Tite Arrow Holder. Think I'll bet one to try it out.

Bowmania

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
lots of folks used to drill small hole in back of riser & glue in a small peg, then wrap arrow shaft with a small rubber band. it would come off when you drew. considering how many old bows had small holes in them, it must have been pretty popular...:eek:

·
Registered
141 Posts
unless there is crazy high winds (which I don't hunt in anyway) I don't have an issue as long as my bow holder is set up with a slight cant to hold the arrow on the shelf...if not put a couple rubber bands in you pack...grab a twig off the ground so you can wrap the rubber band around the arrow and the riser attached to the stick....simple and works well....

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't use any type of arrow containment. One less thing to worry about. Have had an arrow or two fall off and drop to the ground but it hasn't been detrimental.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,414 Posts
A containment rest on a compound makes sense as the shooter is detached. from the arrow. Best to keep the arrow contained and focus on the sights. I've never used anything to hold the arrow in place on a recurve. The arrow is part of the aiming system and outside of very windy conditions there is no reason for it to come off the rest. I've hunted in strong wind with no issues. I agree with Manybows that it is best to keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I use a kwik loc on bows that I shoot off the shelf but I also had an incident when a buck I had been chasing for 3 years finally stepped in my lane. I drew back and the arrow stayed stuck in the kwik loc and nock came off string. I was fortunate to pull it loose, renock and kill the buck. It made me realize that while it worked great in warm summer months, when it was near freezing in nov, the rubber got hard and did not release as easy. I still might use one but am sure to press forward on the string to release the loc before I draw and shoot now - especially when its cold. It is convenient when you hang a recurve on a bow hanger though - just release the arrow before you actually draw

·
The Mad Scientist
1,493 Posts
Whenever I think I might get a shot I always pull the arrow back a bit to detach the arrow holder. I learned that a long time ago, plus they do make a slight sound when they come off.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts