Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have you seen those cookery shows on TV where a chef is given a random of selection of ingredients and asked to create Michelin star dishes?
Well, over the past few months I've been given a set of antlers from a friends deer farm, a set of 40lb Marksman Meteor limbs and a beautiful piece of seasoned European Wild Cherry and I'm wondering if they could become the "ingredients" of a bow.
Here's my thinking .....
Shape a riser from the Cherry, build up the hand grip section of the riser with the outer hard plates of the antler and of course fit the limbs ....

Do you think this is possible or is it a recipe for disaster? ... Appreciate your thoughts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Depending on their diameter, with the shape of that shed I might use it for the riser and the Cherry for accents/buildup....

Reactions: Phil

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depending on their diameter, with the shape of that shed I might use it for the riser and the Cherry for accents/buildup....
Hmmm ... never thought of it that way round LR. To give you some ides of size, the table top is 4 feet square.

·
赛
614 Posts
Phil -

European Wild Cherry (Prunus avium) is a relatively light (39# per cubic foot) and soft hardwood, though beautiful. Typical natural (not phenolic impregnated) riser woods run anywhere from 50# to 60+# per cubic foot, just as one measure of scale. Even with 40# limbs, I'd be thinking about laminating in a core strip of much stiffer material.

But she'd be beautamous.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phil -

European Wild Cherry (Prunus avium) is a relatively light (39# per cubic foot) and soft hardwood, though beautiful. Typical natural (not phenolic impregnated) riser woods run anywhere from 50# to 60+# per cubic foot, just as one measure of scale. Even with 40# limbs, I'd be thinking about laminating in a core strip of much stiffer material.

But she'd be beautamous.

Regards,

Salskov
..I haven't really thought this through have I ........ although ... a core strip of something like Snakewood would look pretty nice

·
赛
614 Posts
..I haven't really thought this through have I ........ although ... a core strip of something like Snakewood would look pretty nice
Snakewood would be outstanding. Its the wood equivalent of tool steel (@ 73# per cubic foot, it should be !!).

Salskov

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snakewood would be outstanding. Its the wood equivalent of tool steel (@ 73# per cubic foot, it should be !!).

Salskov
Does anyone know of any riser shape templates available to download ????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts