Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup, just improved my shooting times a hundred!! Always knew there was something fishy about my release, so I did some research. Came across a video by Jeff Kavanaugh (my favorite archer on youtube) and he taught me something new! He anchors his middle finger in the corner of his mouth, releases, then, immediately after he releases, he hits a second anchor point on his cheek/jaw area. So, I went out and tried and my god it worked for me!

TL;DR- Mr. Kavanaugh on youtube taught me a new anchor point system and it helped my release a ton.

:shooting:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
A good follow through... I was given some similar advise a little while ago by a very longtime archer. He said don't pay attention to the guys that have the big flowing follow through were the hand is way back behind the head, the arrow is already in the target by then. He said to just slide your fingers straight back on your face towards your ear. Works wonders.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does, attack! helped me a ton

·
Registered
582 Posts
One of the biggest issues with the release is many guys make the release the last thing they do. The release is the moment of relaxation between anchor/expansion and the shot conclusion (follow through).

I used to have a release that flew off my face and I coulda slapped you if you stood 6" away. When I actually learned to pull through the shot and follow through 99% of my release issues went away.

Sometimes this stuff is easy to read about but understanding is a progression. Glad you've reached another level with your shooting. It only goes up if you keep striving to improve.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My release hand touches my shoulder when I get it perfect.
The original thought was to draw through to my ear but for reasons I haven't looked at yet,if there's more of a drop in how my arm/string hand recoils and my hand ends up on or near my shoulder,,then the shot is anyways better than with any other rearward recoil I've encountered while practicing release methods.
It also feels like a more relaxed release when I get that reaction.

Relaxed is good.
John.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I switched to a dead release, took care of a lot of my release issues.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I had a pretty dead release and worked well for the type of shooting I did (NFAS unmarked shoots ave shot being 25-30y), when I started shooting IFAA Field I ran into all kinds of consistency issues past 50y, first two shots were good third shot was only just in and the fourth normally dropped out, this is when I changed my Form to a more dynamic release, now I rarely get any fliers or low shots and when I do I know the exact reason why.

A good test is to shoot 6 arrows at 50y using both dead and 6 again using a more dynamic release and see the differences, you may think it doesn't matter on short shots but for most it does help make a difference.

Not saying it cannot be done as you will always find exceptions but most of the top shooters I run into use a dynamic release.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.