Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got hit by an earthquake. The epicenter is in La Habra, which is close to where I live. Stuff was flying off the walls and book cases while I was sitting at my computer. It was very strong but short, probably because of our proximity to the epicenter. We just had a fairly sizeable aftershock. So far, not serious damage. Looks like we are back to making sure our shoes are next to our bed at night and that all book cases are secure.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hope all is well Hank ! Those aftershocks suck ae. :)

I live in Christchurch NZ, and we've had quite a large series of Earthquakes. No more aftershocks but the damage is still there.

Keep safe ! Fingers crossed that things will return to normal soon. ;-)

AJ

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have been through Sylmar and Northridge among others. Even though those were significantly stronger, this one was close. That is why it was so short. What we are hearing is that an earthquake lasts about 1 second, and waves expand from there. The closer you are, the shorter it is.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
My friend out there (LA) said she had one a couple weeks ago. She's been out there less than a year and was really worried about it. She's moving to Dallas next month and can't wait to get out.

By "no serious damage" I assume you mean all your Borders are safe.:)

I like your new avatar; looking lean and mean.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Never been through one personally, but the thought of one is unnerving. Glad you are ok.

Alan

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hank, glad you are ok. If i lived in earthquake territory, I would blame all my bad shots on aftershocks. ... What, you didn't feel that one? :)

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
Oh dang. If I went thru a earth quack I would have bows everywhere. Oh wait I do have bows everywhere, never mind.

Glade you are ok Mr Throeau, I'd miss you if you were off line.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's light now. Lot's of aftershocks, and lots of stuff to pick up. Good thing it happened a week before the IBO shoot. I have the weekend to cleanup....after I get back from the field range. The bows are all downstairs and are okay. The upstairs is where most of the havoc was. No serious damage. This is why I use 50 pound hangers for 5 pound pictures.

ehvhram,

Not sure if you are old enough to have gone through the Sylmar earthquake. Simi Valley is very close. That one really shook, even where I live. Where I am, it went on for a long time. We got rollers all morning, it was like being in a massage chair. You were pretty far from this one and it was not large enough to be felt strongly on your end of the basin. As the scientist mention, there are many earthquakes of this magnitude, just few of them center in the middle of the city.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Glad everyone is OK. My wife keeps wanting to move some place warmer until the earthquakes, hurricanes, and tornadoes show up on the news. We have a little bit of everything here but not to the extremes of other places.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Glad everyone is OK. My wife keeps wanting to move some place warmer until the earthquakes, hurricanes, and tornadoes show up on the news. We have a little bit of everything here but not to the extremes of other places.
Just wait until next years Rose Parade. She will forget about earthquakes and see all the wonderful sunshine and the view of the mountains from the Rose Bowl. That seems to be enough to start the migration cycle each year.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.