Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The riser took. Few days as I got the time. Limbs are about a weekend. This bow was about 2 weeks.
Once I select the woods for the riser, I put them in my curing oven wrapped in plastic for about 24 hrs at 100 degrees. My shop is not humidity controlled, so this gets it down to about 8%.

Then I cut the woods on my bandsaw, surface every thing to square and glue it up with epoxy. It cures at 165 for 4 hours.
Wood for the limbs gets cut to rough size and then ran through a thickness sander to profile.

Limbs are layered up in a form then cured for 4 hours at 165.
Riser gets machined on my mill for the limb pads and limbs get cut and sanded to shape. Riser gets cut out on bandsaw and shaped with a spindle sander.

Tiller on the tree to get limbs to where I want them. Shoot a bit to make sure the riser window is right and then clear coat it.

Lot of sanding! I usually have a few I am working on while one is curing etc.

Ken

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I was reading a post on Facebook about how you can tell a lot about a Bowyer by the quality of their nocks. Yours are perfect. Well done!

·
Registered
321 Posts
The riser took. Few days as I got the time. Limbs are about a weekend. This bow was about 2 weeks.
Once I select the woods for the riser, I put them in my curing oven wrapped in plastic for about 24 hrs at 100 degrees. My shop is not humidity controlled, so this gets it down to about 8%.

Then I cut the woods on my bandsaw, surface every thing to square and glue it up with epoxy. It cures at 165 for 4 hours.
Wood for the limbs gets cut to rough size and then ran through a thickness sander to profile.

Limbs are layered up in a form then cured for 4 hours at 165.
Riser gets machined on my mill for the limb pads and limbs get cut and sanded to shape. Riser gets cut out on bandsaw and shaped with a spindle sander.

Tiller on the tree to get limbs to where I want them. Shoot a bit to make sure the riser window is right and then clear coat it.

Lot of sanding! I usually have a few I am working on while one is curing etc.

Ken
That sounds like a definite labor of love. That would be awesome to shoot a deer with a bow that you made.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I plan on deer hunting this fall with this bow. Yes, I plan on selling after I get my designs down and get my limbs like I want. I may also offer ILF risers too. I have done a fee of those as well.

I am looking for 180 fps at 10 gpp and no stack till at least 30".

Ken

·
Registered
32 Posts
That’s a sweet hybrid takedown! I’d buy that all day long… or trade you for a single piece yew wood selfbow I’ll make for you! I want to do some laminated boy making but focus on primaries stuff right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts