Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not one to write much. I do like to read all I can how ever on archery, and especially on ones form. I shoot mostly by myself. I have a fenced in back yard and live in south Florida. There's not many days I can't shoot. Anyway, I've been shooting longbows and recurve for a few years now. I started in the 80s with a compound but picked up a cheap recurve at an archery shop one day after watching a man at a 3D shoot just pound the center of a old mid section 3D target. I was amazed at how little time he took to shoot and also how simple his set up was.
That brings me to what I want to talk about. I found out that its not simple and its not easy to do. I do enjoy the challenge. I feel I'm getting better everyday, but I'm almost positive you never get to keep it for too long once you find it. Trying to repeat everything the same way, without thinking back or to far ahead. I have a pretty solid routine. And for the last month or so I've learned how easy it can be if I just "Breathe".
I'm talking about when I draw the bow. I take a deep breath in. I mean as deep as I can. When I breathe out , I'm thinking get inside the bow and stay strong. That way I wont start to creep forward.
Now, and only now I can Aim.
Then , another breath taking slowly in though the nose helps me expand to what feels like a surprise release.
Now there more to it then this but from were I'm at now. This seems to be working. I find that for me backtension is key. I have to be Tall and stay strong. Its funny how BT is a big mystery . If I had to explain it I would say to:,Without a bow stand up straight, with your arms straight out ,like your making a "T". Breathe in deep.Exhale as you move your arms back behind you. That's the feeling I get when I get good back tension.

Is there anyone else out there that shoot like this? I really think this could help someone who is looking to keep things simple. <LOL.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Good post. I am not yet completely happy with my breathing cycle. Sometimes I pull out my compound finger bow when I want to focus completely on breathing. It is easier to control and monitor breathing when I am not holding a lot of weight.

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
On a bench rested gun, I hold my breathe. Shooting a bow, I just shoot and don't think about my breathing.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Great post FB,very clear are easy to understand.
I also use my breath to create strength,balance and direction.
And here's me thinking I was a nut case using the T you talk about to help visualise my form.
Plus it's just a great way to start the day.

Thanks mate,
John.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys
Glad to see I'm not alone
A couple things that can ruin my routine even when I try to just breathe are:
1. drawing straight at target.
I have to come straight up with a firm bow arm but bow and arrow are pointed way left of target (google moebow he explains it best) theres no push but more of a firm bow side. I like to watch the arrow on the shelf being
drawn back. This is happening as I breathe in.
2. Aiming . There's nothing that will hurt my shot sequence more then aiming to soon. All steps before and after are important, but if I aim out of order, the shot becomes rushed and will lead to TP.
3. Stay strong is something that has stuck in my brain for maybe the last 3 or 4 months. I would like to thank Matt Potter for this. Thanks Matt! He had a post one day that was simple and to the point. Someone was going to a shoot and Matt said "stay Strong". This is goal I have to have on ever shot.
Ive been sick the last couple of days. So, not loosing as many arrows but the ones I have ,have been solid. That's the next thing I have to learn. If things don't feel right let down. Letting down and starting over now theres a good topic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.