Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All and Happy Father's Day to all you Dad's out there!

I just wanted to take a minute to make sure everyone who is not already is familiar with John Tussing, a fantastic bowyer out of Michigan. He is a one man operation and runs his business JT Traditional Archery. His motto is "Combining Tradition and High Performance." I have no affiliation with him or his business other than being an extremely happy customer.

He builds custom bows to his clients spec. He makes his bows with a large stock of a variety of amazing wood options, as well as composite materials which is what I ended up going with.

Attached are shots of the absolutely amazing custom I commissioned from him...
What you are looking at is a 100% composite longbow, specifically the Zeus model in 66". This is 56# @ my DL of 30.5".
The riser, grip, finger overlay and reinforced limb tips were made of solid black and red G10 with white fiberglass accents.
The limbs are carbon fiber with syntactic foam cores. I told him my favorite color was red and that I also wanted black with some white accents.
I was able to specify the LBS at a specific DL, requested cut to center (had the option of past), worked with him on the grip I like, high wrist with medium throat, etc.
From deposit to delivery was only 6 weeks for me, but depending on his show schedule and current builds your results may obviously vary.

I was able to chronograph this bow right up against my other two 50#@28" longbows to AMAZING results... I used the same 468 grain arrow for all 3 tests...
Martin / Howatt 66" Heritage - 178 FPS
Bear 64" Montana - 186 FPS
JT Traditional Archery 66" Custom Composite Zeus - 193 FPS!!! :love:

Here is the interesting part... not only is the JT Custom Zeus the clear fastest, but it is also the most efficient... take a look at the Draw Force Curve data I collected for each bow as you can see below. The dots at 30.5" mark my DL... way faster than both other bows while pulling less lbs... 12% more efficient than the Bear Montana and 16% more efficient than the Martin/Howatt! Pure wizardry! Ignore the green line R2 data, just a random slider.

I hope John and JT Traditional Archery is on all your radars now... John is a fantastic guy and a great bowyer... look him up if any of you are in the market for a custom longbow. You will not be disappointed.
JT Traditional Archery | Website
JT Traditional Archery | Facebook

Attachments

Registered
He was sending me pictures of this bow a couple weeks ago.. I鈥檓 on the list.. he builds some nice bows for sure.. I shot everything he had at cloverdale and man those longer bow he has are amazing.. he has a thread praising his work over on the LW as well.. sounds like he is about to get busy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was sending me pictures of this bow a couple weeks ago.. I鈥檓 on the list.. he builds some nice bows for sure.. I shot everything he had at cloverdale and man those longer bow he has are amazing.. he has a thread praising his work over on the LW as well.. sounds like he is about to get busy
Hope so! He deserves it! I need to make it out to one of the next shows he is at... after shooting this beauty I would love to try a couple of his other models!

Registered
Do my old eyes deceive me??? Looks like between 27 and 28 inches there's a 0.1 pound gain. I've never heard of that from a longbow.

And of course that brings up the questions of speed. Does he have any graphs for that?

Bowmania

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do my old eyes deceive me??? Looks like between 27 and 28 inches there's a 0.1 pound gain. I've never heard of that from a longbow.

And of course that brings up the questions of speed. Does he have any graphs for that?

Bowmania
Hey Bowmania! At 27" the Zeus (yellow) is almost at 45 lbs and it goes up about 2+lbs to a little over 47lbs at 28". And yes, you can see my chrono results in the body of my post!

Registered
Well, that makes me feel stupid!!! Not the first time. I lost the thought because I went to the web site.

But now, did I get this straight? At 27 inches and 45 pounds with a little over 10 gpp you got 193 FPS? That has to be a 30.5 inches and believable.

Bowmania

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, that makes me feel stupid!!! Not the first time. I lost the thought because I went to the web site.

But now, did I get this straight? At 27 inches and 45 pounds with a little over 10 gpp you got 193 FPS? That has to be a 30.5 inches and believable.

Bowmania
No worries at all, the program spits out that u shaped data set in the middle which corresponds to that axis along the right hand side of the table which confused me too 馃憤. And yes, chrono results were done at my draw of 30.5"

Registered
I received my JT Apollo last week.. 60鈥 [email protected]鈥, I鈥檓 drawing to 27.75, shooting 3 under, with a tuned nock point of 1/2鈥. I didn鈥檛 use the calve hair rest supplied. I placed a 1/16鈥 piece of kydex at peak of shelf and cover with Velcro.. this allowed me some extra clearance and I believe helps with nock high tuning issues.. grip is spectacular, very smooth bow, poundage right on the money, quiet and fast.

I ended up with a BLack Eagle Rampage 400 cut to 29鈥 (nock throat to carbon,) the 60g factory insert, and 250heads.. total arrow weight 535g. This is the weight I usually shoot and I usually end up with a longer arrow in a 400 spine..30-31鈥
This is as short as I鈥檝e ever cut an 400 spine to get tuned from a 50# longbow.

The bow seems to me to have a tight window of tune. Out of tune, even with fletched arrows flight was erratic and frustrating. This bow will also give you feedback, if not shot with a dynamic release it can have a loud shot, that鈥檚 with most performance R/D longbows I鈥檝e had鈥ut after finally getting the spine worked out.. I can鈥檛 shoot at the same spot at 10- 15 yards without fear of damaging arrows. I haven鈥檛 shot much past that (except while tuning) because I鈥檝e been primarily blank baling at 10 (one arrow at a time) just to get used to the bow..

I can get some more pics this afternoon, strung vs unstrung, this afternoon if anybody is interested?

Attachments

Premium Member
JORDAN, that baby looks NICE. one full strung profile picture seems required. THNKS

Premium Member
thanks JORDAN, pretty amazing.

Registered
Stunningly beautiful bows gentleman

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I received my JT Apollo last week.. 60鈥 [email protected]鈥, I鈥檓 drawing to 27.75, shooting 3 under, with a tuned nock point of 1/2鈥. I didn鈥檛 use the calve hair rest supplied. I placed a 1/16鈥 piece of kydex at peak of shelf and cover with Velcro.. this allowed me some extra clearance and I believe helps with nock high tuning issues.. grip is spectacular, very smooth bow, poundage right on the money, quiet and fast.

I ended up with a BLack Eagle Rampage 400 cut to 29鈥 (nock throat to carbon,) the 60g factory insert, and 250heads.. total arrow weight 535g. This is the weight I usually shoot and I usually end up with a longer arrow in a 400 spine..30-31鈥
This is as short as I鈥檝e ever cut an 400 spine to get tuned from a 50# longbow.

The bow seems to me to have a tight window of tune. Out of tune, even with fletched arrows flight was erratic and frustrating. This bow will also give you feedback, if not shot with a dynamic release it can have a loud shot, that鈥檚 with most performance R/D longbows I鈥檝e had鈥ut after finally getting the spine worked out.. I can鈥檛 shoot at the same spot at 10- 15 yards without fear of damaging arrows. I haven鈥檛 shot much past that (except while tuning) because I鈥檝e been primarily blank baling at 10 (one arrow at a time) just to get used to the bow..

I can get some more pics this afternoon, strung vs unstrung, this afternoon if anybody is interested?
Awesome looking bow! I ended up also replacing the supplied calf hair rest but ended up going with a feather rest. I ended up with a 5/8" nock height which I found to be pretty sensitive.

I shoot split finger. I am a target archer so settled on 31" Carbon Express Maxima Recurve RZ's in 340 spine, 3x 4" shield cut feathers with a 3 degree helical and 130 grain points. 428.9 grain overall.

I had originally tried 400 spine easton axis traditionals that shot perfectly out of my Damon Howatt Heritage 66... also a 66" longbow cut to center and 1 lb heavier at my draw length at 57#... they shot like garbage and were completely out of tune on the JT Custom Zeus... I came to find that because of the Zeus' efficiency, even at 1 lb less draw weight than my Damon Howatt, it was throwing the arrows so much faster it was breaking down the dynamic spine of the arrow so much so I actually was better served by a spine up to 340's.

Like you, once tuned in and sorted I can't get over how great the setup is... super clean... joy to shoot... can't put it down. (y)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts