Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the great voices of the sixties.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/a...s-at-67.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=john walker&st=cse

John Walker, Hitmaker With the Walker Brothers, Dies at 67
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: May 9, 2011

LOS ANGELES (AP) - John Walker, an American-born musician and singer best known for his work with the Walker Brothers, one of the most successful British bands of the 1960s, died on Saturday. He was 67.

The cause was liver cancer, his personal assistant, Polly Klemmer, said.

Mr. Walker played guitar and sang with the Walker Brothers, who in the 1960s had two Top 20 hits in the United States, "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" and "Make it Easy on Yourself," and a long string of hits in Britain.

While the Beatles and other British groups were remaking the face of rock 'n' roll in the mid-1960s, Mr. Walker and two other American musicians, Scott Engel and Gary Leeds, moved from the United States to England.

They called themselves the Walker Brothers and each adopted Walker as his surname, although none of them was named Walker and they were not related. (John Walker was born John Maus.) They had instant success with their first British recording, "Love Her," in 1964, and went on to tour the world and sell millions of records.

Although John Walker was the group's original lead singer, Mr. Engel eventually handled most of the lead vocals and later, as Scott Walker, built a devoted following as a singer-songwriter. John Walker returned to the United States in the 1980s but continued to perform in Britain.

Mr. Walker is survived by his wife, Cynthia; a sister, Judy Hoyt; his children, Jamie Maus Anderson, Nickoletta Drew Maus, Adam Sarrazin and Heather Stewart; and several grandchildren.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
I love those songs. Keane recorded "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" so I suspect that says a bit for the enduring quality of this music. Great stuff Dana.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
I just got capital sized goosebumps watching your link Dana. Thanks.

Here's Kean's tribute.....

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bow, you're welcome. I have a pretty fair collection of the greats from that era - Jay Black, (jay and the Americans), the Walkers etc.

The Walker brothers had another great hit with Tom Rush's 'No Regrets.' Great original, great cover.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Saw Jay on PBS and this guy has STILL got it. Amazing talent. Another song I love......

Same guy, same song, back through time. Interesting trip.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Saw that PBS show too. Jay Black is still awesome.

Great links, thanks. And let's not forget his take on the old Ronny & the Ronettes tune - 'Walking in the Rain' -

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Man o man that brought the goosebumps back. Great lyrics that the wife and I can really relate to and a very nice rendition vocally. I have really enjoyed this thread Dana, and am gonna have to see about a new cd or two.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bow, before ya go spending perfectly good beer money, look at this site -

http://www.clipconverter.cc/

Copy and paste any youtube video url to it, convert it to MP3, and download the song for free. Drag it into Itunes or whatever music software you're using and voila, free music.

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
Thanks. I have most of the music on a huge Time Life cd collection from way back before I even had a computer. I had forgotten about a few of the ones you mentioned though. I didn't remember "Walking in the Rain" by Jay.

Great stuff here.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's one more great one from that era - The Association, "Everything That Touches You"

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A great Walker Bros. performance of a tune by Bob Dylan -

1 - 11 of 11 Posts