Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I got to tag along with those guys that day, little did I know who my company was. They razzed each other THE WHOLE TIME and went on to shoot the last competition that day. What a hoot! I just waited my turn and sat back and absorbed the experience.

I was surrounded by greatness and they were all great guys and I mean that sincerely.

(That is me with the straw hat)

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Rick - it was a fun day - all the razzing was and is in good spirits - John is a good friend and a phenomenal shot (even when his arrows fly sideways ;-))

John has had one heck of a indoor season - New nfaa national record, Naa national record, and new state trad recurve 557 and new state fita barebow record 559.

Matt

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
John, can't wait to hear the whole story.

Dewayne

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Must have been a sale on 'pink'.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Shot on the same Target Matt with John at the PA. State Shoot.
The Guy's "Phenomenal" Great Person and Outstanding Shot.
I just can't imagine how much better he would shoot
IF He learned to Tune a Bow and shot Border Limbs:jk:

Rick ;)

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
My name is John Demmer III, and I am an archery addict. I think that's an appropriate first sentence. lol My competitive juices started when I was around 10 when my father started to take me to local field day shoots. It was all rifle competitions in the beginning. Whenever my father wasn't busy on the farm milking cows and working the crops, he was shooting bench rest rifles. He won the national bench rest rifle championship one year. Not to bad for a guy shot the cheapest gun on the line and that worked 100 hours a week. I credit this man for everything that I have accomplished already and everything the future holds. By the time I was 12 I started shooting against the adults in every competition that I could enter. Open sights 22, scoped 22, open sights 100 yards, scoped 100 yards, rim fired pistol, center fired pistol both open sights and scoped. It didn't matter who attended the shoots, I wanted to shoot against the best. I was told that I could shoot against the kids till I was 18. My answer was always that it didn't matter if I won or lost, I just wanted to shoot against the best. I won a few of those events that year. Everything was kicked up a notch when I turned 13. By this time it was either me or my father that was winning almost everything. At the one field day, they started an archery event. The next summer I worked my butt off making 4.25 an hour. It took me a month and a half of mowing lawns and cleaning toilets, but I had enough money to buy my first bow. It was a XI compound with everything that I could afford to put on it and it got me by for 4 years. My father kept taking me to the rifle field trips for 4 more years until all the shoots died out. I still miss those those shoots, but it was time for me to find the next thing to get the competitive juices going again. I was 18 when my best friend bought a Martin Hunter recurve. He kept busting my chops that he was shooting a real bow, and I still shot a compound. Lol. Well that peer pressure led me to buy a Martin Hatfield that I still bowfish with to this day. I ended up shooting my first IBO worlds with that bow. I was lucky enough to make the final group that year. I ended up shooting with Levi Bryant, Bill Curlis, Todd Skodens, and Rod Jenkins. I learned a lot shooting with them. I found out that 66#'s might be a little too much to be the most accurate that I could be. Also found out that "instinctive" shooting was no longer going to cut it if I wanted to get the best out of my equipment. I appreciate everything that group did for me. They pretty much calmed down a bright eyed young pup with a deer in headlights look. :) It took a lot of perseverance, but I finally broke through with a win at IBO worlds on my fourth try. Since then, they have come pretty frequent and I have been truly blessed. I have met some of my best friends at these IBO events. I know the time it takes to shoot at some of the IBO events can be very long from time to time, but its always worth it. There are so many great people that come to these shoots, and I always want to shoot against the best. The wait never seems that bad anymore, because the crowd I shoot with. I highly recommend anyone thinking about coming to one of these shoots that they should just do it. It will probably change you as an archer for the better. For 3d one of my goals is to make the ugliest bare bones bow and take it to a major tournament and win with it. I was on my way towards the possibility of that happening until it broke at a tournament. lol. I did take second place with it at an IBO ntc event. :) I also love to shoot paper in the winter, and this past season has been the best ever for results. I shot all my personal bests in everything that I have entered. I traveled with a good friend of mine, Calvin Smock, who has become a great friend that I met going to the state shoot years ago. He is kinda my personal coach who has guided me to two national records this year. :) One of my favorite moments from paper shooting this year was when I was coaching a guy that I was shooting next to at Louisville. He was having a lot of trouble flinching right as he was releasing the string. The moment he starting shooting better, was well worth any points that I gave up on my end while helping him. Some people tease me a little about the pink bow I shoot from time to time. Its all in good fun. I had it painted in memory of my mother who passed away 21 years ago from breast cancer. I do bow hunt with all sorts of gear from a compound all the way down to a self bow that I made. I may not have taken many deer with a bow, but its more of a choice than a failure. There are some people that have helped me along my journey as a shooter as well as a person that I would like to thank. My father, my understanding wife of 10 years Tara, Calvin Smock, Alan Eagleton, Ty Pelfry, John Wert, Dewayne Martin, Paul Vogel, Mark Lynde, Dave (Lamb), Jason Wesbrock, John Magera, MartinO, Greysides and others that I have left out. I guess I could mention Potter also. Matt and Eagleton are the only two who have taken an autograph from me so far. :) You never know who you are going to meet and what impact they have on your life when you attend any shoot. I appreciate everyone that has taking their time to help me out. I just hope to eventually help others out like I have been helped along the way. I hope it wasn't to long winded for those that read this. lol

Hope to see you all on the range one day!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,511 Posts
Sorry about your Mum, John. You honour her every time you shoot.

Thanks for the read.

Reactions: Demmer

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had the privilege to shoot with John Demmer this year. Went I started shooting this year I was bouncing arrows off the back wall and missing the target. John encouraged me and gave me pointers. At PSAA state Championships last weekend I shot my best score ever, a 471. No where nears John's score but the class act he is, he complimented me on my progress. Thanks for all your help John. Maybe I'll be able to beat Carol for once!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts