Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the Dec/Jan 2014 issue of Traditional Bowhunter. Page 28 has an advertisement for Kalamazoo and a picture of Joel Turner at full draw. The picture shows his right hand knuckles perpendicular to the string as if he was shooting a thumb ring. None of his 4 fingers are on the string and the thumb can't be seen.

Doesn't appear that he has a release in his hand. The add is about TP. Anyone see that seminar at K-zoo or have some idea of how he draws back and releases???

Bowmania

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bowmania,

I shoot my longbows with a modified thumb tab, I shoot my horsebow with a thumb ring. I started shooting with my thumb for a new challenge and I fell in love with it. I now shoot exclusively with my thumb. The sight picture is outstanding and it gives me two extra inches if draw length!!!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a thumb ring and couldn't shoot my longbow with it. The arrow kept coming off the rest.

How did you modify your thumb tab? And do you shoot that with a clicker?

Bowmania

·
Registered
96 Posts
Bowmania,

If shooting off the left side of the bow for right handed shooters (normal finger shooting side), you have to move your thumb down the string a bit so the index finger does not push the arrow off of the rest. I have my thumb 3/4 of an inch below the nock. That works well for my finger size. Any torque put on the string now goes under the nock instead of pushing it off the rest. For the thumb tab/glove, I took a standard Mechanix glove and screwed a piece of leather inside the thumb and used a piece of Shell Cordovan for the face of the tab. I basically reinforced the thumb of the glove with two pieces of leather. I tried the Thumb Glove from Greatree Archery, but found the leather to be too thin and sticky. So I basically took that concept and modified it with better leather. If the leather is too thin, the string will catch in the crease of your thumb and the release will not be clean. You may have to play around with leather thickness to find the right combination for you. I have found the tab/glove to be a better release than a ring, and the ring is not legal in many 3-D tournaments. If you send me a PM with your email, I can send you some pics. Or always feel free to call me at 253-686-3623.

JT

1 - 7 of 7 Posts