Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear All,

Obamacare caused my current employer (a university where I teach) to downgrade my hours and pay to below a livable wage. I was previously a contract employee making a good wage but they forced me to pay my own benefits. I was able to do this easily before. Now, to avoid the obligation to pay benefits all of my hours across multiple state institutions cannot exceed their magic number. So, now I have no benefits and my wages have been cut in half in the course of a few months.

I was previously teaching but have substantial skill and experience in geographic information systems and spatial analysis (basically anything you want me to do to display or analyze digital maps I can do easily), statistics, data analysis, computer programming, ecology, and biology. If a problem cannot be solved using commercial software, I can work across platforms and create my own computer program to do it. I have multiple degrees and a doctorate, but the academic job market is horrible especially now.

I can find work easily if I am willing to relocate anywhere, but I have aging parents and others in WV. I was recently offered a lucrative position but turned it down because it was on the west coast, and I need to be able to be in WV from time to time and relatively easily on weekends.

If anyone knows of something where I can fit that is within a days drive of West Virginia and offers a living wage, I'd appreciate a PM with a lead.

I am searching very hard and have been for months.

I am qualified for most mapping or number crunching gigs within such industries as oil and gas.

After a PM I will gladly send my full name, resume, etc to wherever directed.

As I said, I am looking very hard and am now exploiting all contacts I have.

I've been here long enough in good standing that I considered all of you as potential contacts.

Sorry if this is out of place.

Moderators, remove this if you'd like.

Thanks,
Raisins

·
Captbill
314 Posts
The Fed has multiple offices in Martinsburg that I deal with. The USCG has the National Documentation center and National Maritime center ( for professional licenses)there. BATFE has a processing facility there for NFA transfers and I know other agencies have large offices there as well. I don't know who is hiring there or how to check but take a look.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I feel you pain, Raisins. there are literally thousands of TIG welding jobs on the internet, but my wife is changing her mind about moving. her mother is 88 & not in the best of health, plus her brother (viet nam vet) is disabled & lives with her. both need looking after, & the only other relative here is about as reliable as.... well, I aint going into that. so here I sit trying to replace a $17 an hour job in an area with virtually no decent paying welding work to be done... good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Come down to south Louisiana or check out some openings near lake Charles . Sasol is building two large facilities related to oil and gas, they will need all kind of help. Additionally Fluor corporation is the main EPC in charge of the Sasol deal.

Another thought is to search rigzone , there are Many openings.

Good luck and God Bless, if there is anything I can do , send me a Pm.

Mickey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Come down to south Louisiana or check out some openings near lake Charles . Sasol is building two large facilities related to oil and gas, they will need all kind of help. Additionally Fluor corporation is the main EPC in charge of the Sasol deal.

Another thought is to search rigzone , there are Many openings.

Good luck and God Bless, if there is anything I can do , send me a Pm.

Mickey
Sorry man , I feel stupid already , I don't know about West Virginia , however there will be a few pipeline projects near there sometime this year. I think that you should try and searching for midstream oil and gas companies in or around your area. Good luck Sir

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I've been looking at RigZone & several other places on the web. lots of work for folks that can stick-weld (I passed gas pipeline test while still in school) but 90% of my welding has been TIG work on stainless pipe. even if the job is TIGing S/S, they tell me I have to pass a stick test to get hired...:sbrug:

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Haliburton and Shlumburger (SP?) Oil and gas are doing a lot of work in central WV. There are several gas wells going up and working West of Clarksburg on US 50. You might find open positions on their web sites.

No worries on taking this type of post down. Helping a fellow archer is always welcome.
Thanks, Tuffie. I'll be sure to check those out. I have a few contacts in that industry.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure you will do well. Your priorities are principled.
Thanks, Bow.

My problem is that most of the jobs in my fields in this economy I am told I am overqualified for.

I had to explain to a recruiter today for the umpteenth time that I am willing to take a job that only requires a masters or BS IF there is room for growth/promotion and my skills can be recognized.

HR folks think I only want a stop gap job, and it isn't always the case.

Any advice from anyone on how to handle this overqualified thing?

I admit I always fell into work before by knowing people and so my job quest skills are not sharp. Plus, I'm just not good at playing the weird hiring games where your resume is in a database and HR just does a keyword search on all of them. I write my resume as if I'd talk to a human and not a computer algorithm!

Reactions: pondscum2

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
was e-mailed a job lead this AM for a job in Iowa. it is TIG welding SS pipe & will run through next June. help me out with some positive thinking, fellows. I need this...salary plus per diem doing something I could do in my sleep.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
was e-mailed a job lead this AM for a job in Iowa. it is TIG welding SS pipe & will run through next June. help me out with some positive thinking, fellows. I need this...salary plus per diem doing something I could do in my sleep.
Talk it over with your wife, if she's on board with it, proceed. This may be the opportunity you've been asking for.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Talk it over with your wife, if she's on board with it, proceed. This may be the opportunity you've been asking for.
well, I put in for it. I'm starting to wonder about some of these "staffing services" that post these jobs though. I applied for two jobs through one company, never heard anything. I went back into their site & checked for the resume they asked me for. it was not posted as I entered it. it was so butchered that I would not have called myself for an interview. I was applying for a job as a welder, the only job experience they had listed for me was as a fork truck driver (which WAS on the resume, at the BOTTOM of the list). they had job experience from one job listed on another, dates/salaries mixed up etc. WTF? are they outsourcing/condensing folks' resumes to the point that you will not get a job? I read last night that fewer than 12% of workers actually get call-backs after applying through these companies. I think I know why, now...

·
Premium Member
12,794 Posts
Pond, where in Iowa is it located?
Good luck with it.......

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use to not list everything on my resume as many times the person reviewing the personal mangers suggestions and does the hiring is afraid you will take their job or worse yet get their promotion. It can be a catch 22.....Good luck and will be praying.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I have applied for seven different jobs TIG welding, and have exactly "diddly-squat" replies to show for it, & I think their "super-duper automatic resume' condenser" is why. this morning, I was on my way to an interview to MIG aluminum building tank trucks. about 1/8 of the way there, I remembered a place I had put a paper app in at & swung by to see if the personnel guy was in. turns out that he was in, they were hiring, and he thought they had a slot for me. it only starts at about $13 or $14 an hour (other job was $15 with LOTS of OT) but I will be stick & MIG welding on carbon/pipe and anything else they ask me to do. after I have been doing shop work/getting my feet wet again for a while, they will pay for my tests & get me certified & move me WAY up the salary ladder. things will be tight at first, but bologna tastes better than cat-food tuna on stale bread while living in a refrigerator box under a railroad bridge! plus, the work will have OT also, much of it out of town with a per diem too. at the job migging aluminum, I would have to have moved/sold my house or rented another place as I could not have afforded to drive nearly 4 hours back & forth. so here I sit waiting for a phone call that might save my house & family...

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Pond, where in Iowa is it located?
Good luck with it.......
that one was in Davenport Iowa. no phone call, no e-mail. no call-back yet from yesterdays interview either...:help: I have put in for jobs I can do in my sleep, a few that are a stretch, and plenty that are just right, nothing. I read articles on the internet that say welders are in short supply because a lot of them have left their regular jobs to go to the oil fields & the gulf coast working in shipyards. I don't know if employers are hoping everyone just comes back soon or ??? a LOT of the welding jobs I see advertised are "wanting guys that can do all of their own lay-out, cutting, fitting, tacking, welding in four or more types(certified), & inspection, plus do machine shop work if welding gets slow & computer skills/walking on water would be nice. but we only offer $12 or $13 an hour..." hell, if I knew anyone that would do that much work for that little money I would hire him myself & open my OWN welding shop...:sbrug:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.