Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am brand new on this forum. I wanted to ask a couple of questions. I saw a guy with another variation of Jennings compound bow converted to a warf and it was great. Up until recently I did not know this was a possibility but was a way to resurrect a good old bow. I have a Jennings Sidekick II that I have had for nearly 35 or so years and the steel cable broke on me. I was wondering if anyone has converted one of these to a warf and what is involved. Thanks in advance for any advise you can offer.

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
PS,,once you drink the Warf Kool Aid,,you may be in trouble so beware!:shooting:

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
I would say yes, you could convert it to a stick bow. Probably a few options on it. If you already own it even better, nothing to lose! Can I ask what the distance is between the 2 limb bolts?
Do you mill, make plates,or bolt on plates for your conversions? Straight bolt downs or three rivers Das plates etc.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I don't want to hi-jack but on the bows I've done so far I haven't had to buy anything. I guess mostly I've just made plates that have worked well. No bolt-ons so far. I just finished my Hoyt and I'll try to get pics up soon...it turned out great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say yes, you could convert it to a stick bow. Probably a few options on it. If you already own it even better, nothing to lose! Can I ask what the distance is between the 2 limb bolts?
I measured and the distance is 17 1/2". I appreciate any info you can give me.

·
Registered
235 Posts
OK, so adding 5" will make it a 22 1/2" riser. Very doable in my opinion. Looks like it has a nice reflex to it.
Maybe you could post pics of what the pockets look like and also the measurements. Sounds like Sam has run across this riser before, maybe he'll chime in with his take on it. The angle that the limb pockets are at can make a difference too. Hopefully Bowbender Mike will take a peek. I don't have the experience these guys have, but I sure don't see anything that says STOP.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sure looks like you could do a bolt on for starters. Can that washer like thing be removed? Is there a bolt coming into it from the other side? Also, how wide is the pocket inside?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, it looks like that washer can be removed. It has a hex bolt attached on the other side. Also, the pocket is 1 1/2" wide by about 1/4" deep and is about 2 1/2' long. When you say bolt on, you mean getting some limbs and just bolting them on, correct? Does anything need to go underneath the limbs? I have lots of rookie questions. Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, that thread will tell you all you need. He used bicycle inner tube underneath the limbs. I have some really thin rubber they use under backyard sports courts. I'd be happy to send you some if it would help. And yeah, you just bolt them on with few if any modifications.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the information. I believe that just might work. Now I need to find some limbs. Does anyone have any lighter weight limbs they might be interested in selling?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep I am looking for inexpensive. I hurt my shoulder and I want lighter weight limbs to see if I can shoot a recurve anymore. It is more of an experiment and also I think it is darn cool idea to resurrect an old compound bow like this. I would mind used limbs either. As long as they work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts