Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I spent some time looking at vanes. Lots and lots and lots of vanes. Long story short, I left with the idea that it would be interesting to incorporate some of what I saw in vane design into feather fletching. Something lighter than vanes. Something that could be shot off the shelf.

The motivation behind this was that of a good field arrow. Light and fast with a pronounced FOC and a lot of spin. In theory, something that could handle breezy conditions without sliding sideways into the next county.

The idea sat on the back burner until late April when I hyperextended my right shoulder something bigtime and had to take it easy for several weeks. I was refletching some of my more beat up shafts when the vane lightbulb went on again and after some cutting and fiddling came up with a profile I liked and made up a couple of arrows.

Danged if they didn't shoot pretty nice. Light and fast with good manners, and don't seem to mind the shelf. Shot them for awhile, and just made up a few more.

The "Birdvane" -

30" .600 GT Warrior shafts, 85 gr. points, 2" fletching length. FOC = 14.75%. Total weight 280 grains. I pushed the helical angle as far as I could and still achieve a good glueline to the shaft.

I'm sure this has been done a thousand times before, but I get a kick out of reinventing the wheel. Oftentimes I learn something.

:cool:

Regards,

Salskov

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello All

Salskov they look nice. I like the cut. Do you have a wire burner pattern.[ Later
Unk -

Nope. Nothing that fancy.

Regards,

Salskov

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.