Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Year ago I decided to retire from Olympic recurve competition and after college nationals I sold my setup and bought a used black widow from Dewayne. I wanted to get back to having fun with archery and just enjoying shooting my bow. I shot everyday all summer and had a lot of fun but was frustrated with being accurate.

I watched Masters of the Barebow Vol 1-4 and it really helped me have a better understanding of how aiming worked. Aiming wasn't my only problem though because my old form didn't transfer over very well. It was impossible for me to get any kind of loading/holding with a higher anchor. Anchoring was also weird for me. I had a hard time finding a consistent anchor.

A year of hard work blank bale trial and error has led me to finally being able to shoot consistently well. It has all come together for me the past few weeks and it feels so good to hit what I'm aiming at. All I have to say is traditional is way harder than any other archery discipline that I've done in the past.

Big thank you to everyone on here that has helped me out. Looking forward to 3D season!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
ScottE, I'm sorry I should have sold you a trained bow!!!LOL!!!

Glad to hear you're shooting good and being able to hit what you're aiming at!!

You still planning on coming to the Trad Wolrds??

Dewayne

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can't stop myself from competing but I'm enjoying archery more than I have in a long time. The problem with my Olympic recurve career was showing up at tournaments and having a lot of expectations from myself and others. It just wasn't fun anymore.

Dewayne the bow shot amazing lol I'm all booked for IBO worlds but I might not make it to Trad Worlds the cost of flying and what not is too much for right now.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Scott,

This is my first year away from FITA. I was shooting adult barebow. I shot in the middle of all the Olympic style shooters on the 90 meter lanes. I find that the traditional tournaments I am shooting are more relaxing. I went over the top and decided to go with a longbow with wood arrows this year, a big departure from a high tech FITA barebow. I was out today trying to figure out how to hit the target at NFAA field distances. I shot part of an animal round, a field round, and a few hunter targets. The shots are really long for a bow with a point on somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 yards. I have two field tournaments coming up and both should be pretty relaxing since I have no expectations going in. I am just going to try to execute good form, make adjustments between arrows, and hope I score a few points along the way. I am thinking that after the NFAA field tournaments are over, I might pull my FITA bow back out and prepare for the Arizona FITA field tournament in the fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.