Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a Black Hunter Longbow for the past year or so. I initially got it just as a lightweight, budget bow to work on my form and practice with.

I actually shooting well and haven't had issues with it. I am considering getting another one with a little heavier draw weight for hunting, but was wondering if there was something similar in price and quality with a longer AMO? My draw length is 27", so I probably don't need a longer now, but I think I would like to try something longer.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Can't say enough about the SWA 64" Ghost longbow. Production of some of the limb weights slowed due to Covid but if you call Jeff at SWA, he may be able to assist you. I just scored a set of 42# limbs from him. I Liked the BH but I prefer the longer Ghost longbow and I draw 27.5".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Redfin, I just discovered the SWA Ghost last night when I was doing some searching. I didn't find to much info on it, but it seems similar to the Black Hunter, with with a 64" AMO which is what I was searching for. I may give that a try.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What weight are you looking for? Ordering one may be tough but do give Jeff a call. He may have what you are looking for.
I am in between a 45lb set of limbs or 50lb. Ideally if it was 44-46lbs at 27", that'd be perfect. I did see it looks like they only have 20lb and 25lb limbs in stock. I'll give them a call. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You can't go wrong with anything from Twig. He may have the Ghost in the weight you want. I forgot he sells that.

Do you want a 19" riser for overall bow length? I just want to point out that with a 17" Convertabow riser ( or any 17" ILF riser) you can get XL LB limbs like the DAS bamboo core that will give you a 64" bow length. I shoot those and think they are a super limb.

While the ILF Convertabow can be a viable option. That only comes in a bolt down recurve from what I understand from John. So if you want a LB you will be on the hook for another $150+ for ILF LB limbs. That's a total investment of $400 plus built on a $150 riser. Granted, you have an extra set of limbs.

IMO, for the $400, I would be more inclined to buy a slightly better riser like an OMP Sektor and one set of LB limbs like the DAS bamboo core. This is all based on if you want to go in that deep into your pocket. I never got to ask John at Twig but IMO with all the recurves on the market why he didn't introduce the Convertabow in a bolt down with LB limbs. I think it would have been a sleeper and a hot seller.

I have 4 bows that I shoot now and they are all over twice the price of the SWA Ghost. While I enjoy shooting them all, the Ghost for sub $200 is right there with all the others. I can't find one compromise with that bow compared to the others. Tuning was easy, grip is spot on, it's just as quiet and over the chronograph it's right there with the other too. It's a GOOD bow!

Best of luck deciding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Redfin, thank you very much for all of your help. I thought the convertabow would be neat to have in case I ever wanted to play with different sets of limbs, but in reality I likely wouldn't ever get more sets of limbs. And I was thinking 19" riser would allow a longer bow. I guess if I did end up going the ILF riser way, I would look at the White Feather Lark riser too, as I've seen good reviews.

I think I will just go with the Ghost and call it good. It is a longer takedown longbow, and that what I wanted. I don't need anything fancy, just will hunt with it some and enjoy shooting it in the yard.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have heard good things about the Ghost from Southwest archery. They just got re-stocked with the XL Spyder limbs and my set came in this week. Great quality and the string tracks straight down the middle. I put them on my 19 inch riser for a 64 inch bow. I like that I can attach a bow quiver to my riser and a bow fishing real seat. Can't do that with the Black Hunter. The spider limbs also attach to the Ghost riser, so for another $75 you can have a longbow and recurve.

Wingman really likes his

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I have 2 Black Hunters 55lb and 60lb (which I really like) and also the Junxing Pharos II, at 50lb and 62" AMO. It is an incredible shoot. Completely wipes my Hoyt Buffalo at 5lbs heavier, and even beats my Bodnik Slick Stick at the same weight.

I'm shooting (carefully tuned) 340 spine with 300 on the end and my arrows are like lasers. Very inexpensive, especially for a machined ILF riser. Review:

Crappy graphics on the limbs (don't get the 'wood look' limbs if you don't want that), and finish is akin to the BH, but I just camo tape my limbs anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.