Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like hunting ground hogs, they're really challenging, not easy to kill (without a real good shot), are good stalking practice AND will even charge ya IF you get between them and their hole!!!

Anybody else enjoy this as well?

Tom

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I've got one that hangs around the house Tom. I've only managed one shot on him/her in 3yrs, and swear I parted its hair on its head. :lol: the critter is just to wary to put the sneak on. Of course if I'm in my car or on the mower the dang thing doesn't care, but if it sees me on foot it's gone! I worked for a farmer who claimed to run them down and thunk em with a shovel. They must be a lot dumber and slower then this one.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I hunt them around the house unsuccessfully with a bow but my wife makes me take a few out with the .22 to thin the herd. If they weren't so hard to hunt with the bow she'd be a little more lenient. Today she made me shoot one with the Kimber.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I used to do quite a bit of ground hog hunting where I grew up in PA, mostly with rifles in .22LR, .22 Hornet, and .220 Swift. Bowhunting them would be a lot of fun. We used to call them "whistle pigs". Never heard the term "ground griz" before.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dave, Should you manage to get between them and their hole… you WILL get charged! They'll even bite your boot if they're trying to get past your foot to get to the hole!!!… and THAT'S why we call 'em ground grizz :)

Kenn… Yes, they sure are tough to sneak up on…. and that's what makes them real fun to hunt and provides considerable pride on success. I've hunted them from ground blinds and tree stands in order to be able to get a shot!

Tom

PS… and I've even whistled a few out of their hole to their untimely demise!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
One way to get them that works is to let them escape to their hole. Run around to the other side. When they peak back out in a short while they will be looking in the direction where they last perceived danger. You can have a short, back of the head shot at them in this situation. A few years ago after we had been living in our new home for a while we had a female with a litter of 5. I managed to get her and the young ones were not as wary or smart. I got 6 of them at the house that summer. Another time we had one that had a den in back of my shed. My friend, Todd, who was over for a visit scared him and he went to his den. Todd got on the other side of the den and I got right behind the den with my bow. The chuck came out and kept his eye on Todd. I was able to get him in the back.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've missed clean, bounced a BH off of one's head, shot under and sliced open their bellys, shot a cinder block that I thought was the body but the hog was behind it. They are a hard target to hunt.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Are they good eating?

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they are excellent eating and often overlooked. Taste like beef. small ones are tender. Older one I put in a "beef" stew
Don't know if I'd go THAT far… but they eat nothin but grass… I've skinned the hides of a bunch more than I've eaten. :)

Bill C…. You're a sneaky bugger! (And I'll have to start using a fellow "grizz hunter to help me out) :):):)

Tom

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
old timers here eat little ones like squirrels. bigger ones they cut up & boil the fat off of, roll in flour & fry like chicken. got two under my outbuilding, digging foundation up. :^( wife doesn't want them killed though. when she was a vet tech, one of her favorite "customers" was a griz named Jasper. they could check him for worms. draw blood, give shots, anything...just as long as someone was distracting him with Pringles potato chips. :p he died of heart failure...

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
They are thick around the house this year. I've shot 4 with my Cape buffalo set-up. Figure if I can shoot a woody the buffs should be no problem.
Did you use a cut on contact broad head to insure adequate penetration? :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts