Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Haybale Hunter
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this today when I was flinging arrows. I'm shooting pretty good, not my best but not my worst either.

I'm not hitting 10s with every shot but I'm in the money with 90% at different yardages and even unknown yardages.

It occurred to me that this is pretty good shooting, certainly good enough for hunting, and even well enough to be competitive in target shooting. I'm better than last year, and last year was better than the year before.

Yet, I'm never quite satisfied. I always leave with the feeling of something unfinished. Like I'm not quite there. Starting to think I'll never feel like I'm 'there'.

Reactions: Gettysburg

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,526 Posts
That is an interesting question. It depends on whether you are wired for constant improvement, which some of us are. I am at the age now where I have run the full course on a sport that I spent most of my life doing, rock and mountain climbing. I will never get better. I have lost too much strength and flexibility, and have lost the mental edge to deal with the risks (like Maverick in Top Gun after the death of Goose). Now I have to settle for being as good as I can be and slowing the decline. I took up archery later in life as a way to provide a new challenge. Archery ages much better than climbing. You can continue to get better at a far more advanced age. I am still looking to improve, but at some point, strength, agility, wear and tear, etc. will force the inevitable decline. It is possible that we never get "there" because "there" is constantly changing. I think the key is to continue to have goals and to pursue them, whether the threshold is getting better, staying where you are, or fighting the effects of time to be as good as you can be, for as long as possible.

·
Haybale Hunter
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hank,

When you were at your best as a climber, did you know it? Did you get the satisfaction, or were you looking forward to another level?

Reactions: Gettysburg

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know I'm still very far behind most of you guys here. But I think I'm getting there as far as satisfaction with my accuracy is concerned. I learn new things slowly but surely, like perfectly matching my arrows using a spine tester. When I first began archery last year, I never imagined myself having to dump brand new arrow shafts for the sake of accuracy. But that's exactly what I have been doing lately to achieve that very tight grouping.

I shoot off the shelf, no sights, no any other things attached to my bow. But I get that 1 inch grouping at 20 yards, I could hear the banging together of the arrows from where I stand. 🙂

Next thing I want to learn is how to concentrate on a target spot, so that tight grouping falls in the X spot. A one-inch grouping does not help my scoring when they all goes to the blue area of the target face. 😉

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
“Perfection is finality
Finality is Death
Nothing’s perfect.”

- The Crock of Gold by James Stephens

Reactions: penumbra

·
Super Moderator
725 Posts
Nope. Over the years I've noticed the better I've gotten the more unsatisfied I've been. It keeps me tweaking and experimenting with my aiming and shot process, probably to my detriment.

·
Registered
672 Posts
The question is kind of ridiculous and for many people hinges on the meaning of "satisfaction."

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
OH HECK YEH.
I don't want you to think I THINK I'm GOOD. That's NOT IT.
I'm satisfied.
I can mostly hit what I wnt or NEARLY hit it with an arrow, and I know my limits.
So when I MISS it's ok as long as I was close.
I'm MOSTLY DONE with all the competitive things.
Back in the day I ALWAYS had to win, it did not matter the game or task or tournament.
I don't even try to beat CHRIS anymore in basketball. he's 44 I am 68. I TRY to stay ahead of my 4 grandsons at basketball & maybe baseball. but it's getting so they are ON ME.
YEH at least for me, I DID reach a point with archery ? 3-4-5 years ago where I plateau'd out & "it's good enough". Others can have the pressure, haha.

Reactions: penumbra

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,526 Posts
Hank,

When you were at your best as a climber, did you know it? Did you get the satisfaction, or were you looking forward to another level?
I was always pushing to get better. Injury and illness stopped my improvement

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was thinking about this today when I was flinging arrows. I'm shooting pretty good, not my best but not my worst either.

I'm not hitting 10s with every shot but I'm in the money with 90% at different yardages and even unknown yardages.

It occurred to me that this is pretty good shooting, certainly good enough for hunting, and even well enough to be competitive in target shooting. I'm better than last year, and last year was better than the year before.

Yet, I'm never quite satisfied. I always leave with the feeling of something unfinished. Like I'm not quite there. Starting to think I'll never feel like I'm 'there'.
To be honest, I'd be pretty happy if I shot as well you do!

·
Haybale Hunter
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To be honest, I'd be pretty happy if I shot as well you do!
I'd like my groupings to be a little tighter and I'd like my shooting to be overall more consistent.

Getting there.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
If you're feeling happy then hang a target and shoot for score using the official distance and timing.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
I have spurts of brilliance, followed by "I look like I've never shot a bow in my life" groups.
Ha Ha .. excellent answer Geezer ... that's me as well

·
Registered
514 Posts
Occasionally there's a moment of brilliance, but most days
I saunter about, visiting different plateaus of mediocrity.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts