Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Isaiah 49:2
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is 550 grains going 192-5 fps enough for elk on rib hits with Delta 4blade heads and Razorcaps 3blades, or should I go with a heavier arrow? I was thinking of lowering my arrow weight with an Axis and upping my trajectory.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Firstly, I'm no Elk expert, but that sounds like plenty to me. I wouldn't go with a much lighter arrow than that and probably limit shots to under 30 yds, but else I think you're spot on. I have heard of Elk taken on lighter tackle....

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I feel that should be fine. I shot an elk with a lighter arrow at 190 fps, 23 yards and it penetrated both sides, leaving the last 6 inches of arrow in the entrance side.

The combination you speak of is similar to speeds acheived by compounds in the late 80's and early 90's and they thought that was fine...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Nope!
I think it'll bounce off and curl the broadhead on his tough hide.
No, no, it's fine. I thought you had a 192 grn arrow going 550 fps. You're ok.
:cool:
That's just about the same setup I hunted elk with this year. I had a complete pass thru on an elk if I could have gotten closer. Virtual elk steaks, hmmmmmm.
Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
89 Posts
If that is with you Borders bow I would say no and you should sell it for let say $100 just so you do not feel questionable about using it on elk, I will go $110 if that will make you feel better about the deal,ha,ha,ha.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Never elk hunted but I would not think twice about doing it with your setup.It shoots a little fast for me so I would probably shoot a heavier arrow and different broadhead if I were useing it just to make things easier on me.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
No other reason but since I have not killed elk before I would be going in a bit blind.For that reason I would use a broadhead that I know well and have confidence in first.I would use the stos even though it is smaller before I decided if a simmons would be better.Just a confidence thing is all.

G

·
You've got plenty of bow, but I'd advise against a big BH with bleeders...plus those Magnus head have a nasty habit of turning their tip...if you use them without bleeders, bob the tip "tanto" style...

For a BH I'd recommend...Muzzy Phantoms (without bleeders), STOS, Eclipse, or Zwicky Eskimos...I have no experience with Grizzlies, or Wolverines but I've been told they'd do the job as well...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Because of injury, I now shoot 38# bow. While I have not chronographed it, I'm confident my arrow speed is less than 170 FPS. Here is my workaround.

If you have any concern about penetration -- after all, lethal penetration of cutting edges is what kills -- strongly consider changing to one of the industrial strength single-bladed broadheads with 3:1 cutting edge to width ratio.

If you use glue-ons, 150-grain and heavier El Grandes are as good as any.

If you prefer screw-ins, you can fling money to the four winds and acquire German-made Silver Flames. Or you can get something like Outback Supremes.

Supreme 160-grain BHs are recently discontinued. I am arranging for a production run.

Weight - 160 grains
Blade thickness - 1.8 mm (.071-inch)
3:1 blades, HRc 50-52, single bevel, tanto point.

From the left: Outback Supreme, Howard Hill, El Grande.

·
Isaiah 49:2
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been talking to Charlie Lamb at TradGang and he shoots the same weight arrow @185 fps and cut 2 elk ribs going in and 2 coming out with a 4blade Magnus I. that gave me a LOT of confidence.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Has anyone read this?

http://www.huntingfortomorrow.com/women_files/You're%20hunting%20with%20THAT.doc

It goes against some of the things widely believed here and supports others. As a non-hunter, I can't judge the technicalities, but it seems to show that confidence in your equipment is pretty paramount, along with good shot placement.

Best,

Martin

·
Registered
16 Posts
Back in the mid 80's I was shooting a compound, and was hurling arrows that weighed 490 gns. tipped with "Thunderheads 125's, which is considered to be a "chisel" tip. With this particular bow and setup I took 4 Roosevelt elk (cows) three of which were complete pass through. On the one cow that I didn't have a complete pass through... I center-punched the rib on the far side, snapping in half. The arrow stuck out about 6" on the other side.

Contrary to popular myth and the cancerous belief held by many of today's bowhunters... It doesn't take much to kill an elk! Your setup is more than enough to take an elk! (Just don't hit them in the shoulder!)

Donnie

·
Registered
16 Posts
Opps!... Sorry! I meant to say..

"Back in the mid 80's I was shooting a compound, and was hurling arrows that weighed 490 gns. at "190 fps.", tipped with "Thunderheads 125's, which is considered to be a "chisel" tip."

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That rig will bring you good elk backstrap with any decent head if you put the shot where you want it. An elk isn't thick-skinned game, after all. Longbow hunters take them all the time with a lot less bang than you're packing, A4C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.