·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some pictures for those that like them.

It's a family sport...

Involving a lot of 'ups' and 'downs'.

Here's an up...

And a down.... (just look at the feet positioning)

All sorts of kit on display.

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The place was just coming back to life after the winter. Fresh growth and leaves everywhere.

The signature cliff shot is still as hard as ever (to shoot and to do justice to with a camera).

The 15m bunny is always a dreaded target but with this angle.... even more so.

Sometimes the surroundings were centre-stage.

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more 'green here than you think. The venue was previously a golf club.

It's only 10m but the slope and the angle of the target don't help.

But when it's all over the medals are worth the effort.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,697 Posts
Aiden,

Thanks for the timely photos. I was out with my longbow bow today preparing for the only two field shoots on my schedule this year. In a sudden wave of inspiration, I remembered that Arizona has a FITA field tournament in October and that I should go. So, I figure in about a month, I retire the longbow for awhile, finish tuning my HEX6 for stringwalking, and get ready for FITA field.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Wow Aidan who set that course out? Some pretty challenging shots that's for sure. Looks like you all had a great time ... thanks for the pics

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There may have been a few complaints about target 13...

;)

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
639 Posts
Really lovely stuff! I had no idea there was an O'Maciavelli clan in Ireland . . .

That little 10 metre cliffhanger (#19)- I'm sure - has left more than a few seasoned veterans walking around in small circles having conversations with themselves (in three part harmony, no less). :D

What were the longest yardages?

Regards,

Salskov

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Salskov, the distances are metres (add 10% to get yardage). For barebow the max is 50m, the Instinctive Style also shoot that distance. Longbow has a 40m max. Sighted recurve and compound have a 60m max.
There were also 'white' pegs out for beginners, probably 25-30m max.

The longest distances are on the marked course and the scores are correspondingly lower.

The photos don't do the slopes justice. Out of 48 targets on the two courses there may have been two on the level. I remember one, and it was 40m.

Sometimes it's the footing that gives the added difficulty. It may only be 5m but if you are unbalanced it may as well be 20m. The short distance targets are often the easiest to put at severe angles. There were no easy targets. All varieties of stances were tried and kneeling could be useful. Digging out a flat area for your feet was another good idea.

The course is in a disused golf course. A long slope down to a meandering river with level flood plains between bends. Above the slope are a variety of level-ish areas with adjoining ramps. The ground is quite sandy so it drains well but there are a few muddy areas where water drains and the soil under the trees is crumbly and soft. Few escaped without some form of a slip or tumble.

It was very noticeable to me that away from the top tier archers there were a lot out for a walk and an enjoyable weekend. There was as much discussion of animals and plants (and their uses in food and drink) as there was archery. Spring is 'full on' at the moment, birds are notably vociferous and insects are out and about. All growth is fresh and the colours of different species of trees coming into leaf gives a lovely mix as you look into the distance.

Attachments

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Amazons were out in full force.

Barebowjo in the white shooting her way to a silver.

·
8,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's one of me, courtesy of one of the organisers.

If memory serves, that was an 80cm face at max unmarked distance, 40m. Angle about 40 degrees. You were supplied with dug out steps, a less direct path and ropes to collect the arrows. Getting behind the target to retrieve overshot arrows (and they were frequent) was a further challenge.

The people are the local FITA field archers, our FITA friends from 'up North', along with the local chapter of the IFAA and their northern branch. We had a few 'Internationals' from The Netherlands.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts