Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was doing Walkback from 20y to 60y I decided to change the feel of my shot sequence, in trying to get alignment and just relax both arms as much as possible and forcing the shoulders to do more work, it worked quite well, apart from as I moved back all my arrows started impacting more and more left.

I went back to original feel of getting alignment and just continued powering the back tension till the shot went off and every thing went back to shooting down the line again.

Might be worth thinking about if you have left issues on longer shots.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Have you ever thought about just shooting, and not over thinking?

But you are string walking so as you move your fingers up and down the string you are dynamically affecting the arrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how come you do not know this stuff?

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Interesting.....I also think we get to some level of competency.....then we either settle for that (whatever that might mean) or we want to improve it...fine tune it.

Nice thing about something that is pretty much engrained is that it is easy to get back to.......problem is this...that that is engrained might not be optimal either and is hard to NOT got back to.

My problem ;)

jer

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
But you are string walking so as you move your fingers up and down the string you are dynamically affecting the arrow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how come you do not know this stuff?
This something that was brought up in previous posts, the dynamic spine changes with the crawls and a lot of Stringwalkers get arrows drifting off as the move back and compensate by adjusting plunger or aiming off. I don't seem to get this issue with my normal form but have noticed some days and shots it does sometimes happen, it appears if my release isn't dynamic enough I get arrows drifting left on longer shots, it's good to know this as I can correct within 1-2 shots in a tourney if it happens.

We all get tired, lazy or distracted during a tourney and at these times you need to think about whats going on, the rest of time I hope to be in my mojo zone :p

Tom the release is different, more a result of a relaxing both arms and the fingers just follow the relaxation trend (still a good strong conclusion), normally I don't relax my fingers, just keep expanding till the shot goes off. I was experimenting because I have this issue with twitchy bowhand fingers, just cannot get rid of it, figured if I try consciously relaxing both arms it may help with relaxing the Bow hand as well, I have some tendon damage in my Bowhand, I just dont know if this is the cause or a form issue.

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
When shots drift left I look first to the back, for a long dynamic shot and follow through. I had an example yesterday:

A pupil had new arrows and was complaining that they hit well left. She asked if she needed heavier points or weaker shafts. She was grouping a foot and a half to the left and low holding on a paper plate at 45 yards. I had her tilt her head a bit further over the shaft, which corrected half the problem. Then I had her focus on the back and make a strong shot. Hit the plate! I thanked her for validating my coaching. - lbg

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Hank, good response on the negative comment!

Steve, for me on long shots is the tilt of the waist. Once I hit that 45ish yard area I can't just move my arm for the gap. It's come to full draw and then set the gap by tilting at the waist and continue with my sequence. The extra thought leaves me left or maybe it's a collapse.

Bowmania

1 - 10 of 10 Posts