Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read on here a few times people are using gorilla glue? I don't remember the thread if it's for fletching or inserts? Or I would do a search and reaserch it.

Got me to wondering the gorilla glue I have is an expanding type, I would think for inserts it would push them out?
If people do use the expanding type what's your method?

So my question what do people use for gluing in their inserts?
I normally user 5ton epoxy, thinking of the gorilla glue tho depending on the answers.

Thanks

Chad

·
Registered
820 Posts
I use goat tough for inserts. Unfortunately I can't get it to work for anything else. (Feathers /Vanes).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Chad, I use Gorilla glue jell Super glue to fletch my arrows....I wouldn't use regular 'ol Gorilla glue for inserts...About any epoxy would seem to be a much better choice...Jim

·
Premium Member
12,102 Posts
CHAD, I'm the fletching rookie here, I posted up the other day that I fletched my first arrows this week using GOrilla "super" glue....possibly that is where you read it.
NO ONE should take my advice on anything fletching-related......

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use Easton Quickbond for feathers and inserts. Haven't had one come apart yet.

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the Easton Glue's...

I use the "Easton Quick Bond" for fletching...

but I use the "Easton Bond-All" for inserts...

and the reason I do is because the bond-all seems to have a slower kick to it and gives me ample time to spin/coat/float and wick the glue in with the insert where with standard super glues I've had instances where it wants to lock-up before I've got the insert fully coated and seated....so to avoid the 2 second panic slam thing? :lol:

I pay a couple extra bucks. ;)

·
Registered
5,296 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I use Loctite Super Glue Gel for my feather fletchings, and Bohning Insert Iron for my inserts.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I've been using Gorilla Super Glue to almost two years for both inserts and leading/trailing edges of fletching. I've wiggled arrows out of trees, two by fours, and metal panels, haven't had a failure to date. Guess I've been lucky.......

·
Registered
576 Posts
I used the Gorilla 5min epoxy on all my inserts last year, no problems at all. It doesn't cure in 5 mins, I allow a full 24 hours, it does set up some fairly quickly. Easy to find, and cheaper than most of the official archery epoxy.
Doug

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I'm a slow cure 2part epoxy fan myself… Never cared for the quick stuff, it (on a couple occasions) cracked in the cold of winter. I use "Blu-glue" for fletching. It's about perfect in terms of strength vs dry time.

Tom

·
j-san = Jason
1,671 Posts
I like hot-melt glue as well. Very handy for when you are trying to figure out how much arrow to cut off. IMO, not as strong as epoxy, especially for carbons, but they are great in carbon/aluminum or plain aluminums. For carbon, I like the Bohning cool melt glue. Doesn't require as much heat and seems to bond to the carbon better.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
It takes me some experimenting to find the point weight I want to cover my string walking crawl.

I have been using this fear-l-tite. Makes removing tips to cut or change easier.

·
Pete
5,610 Posts
Another for low temp hot melt (yellow and blue) never had a problem and so easy to use and tune.

·
Barbarian Tyrant
971 Posts
I use Loctite Gel Super Glue because it's cheap and works great. Allows a little extra working time to make sure inserts are seated fully. I clean the inside of all my carbon shafts with 91% alcohol and Qtips before gluing inserts. I use it on fletching too.

I have a long draw and have never cut an arrow for tune but if I did I'd use a hot melt so I could remove the insert if I needed to trim more shaft.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts