1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Probably the same ppl that are still not shooting great after 30 years..yes they are ok sometimes but not always.

Federer didn't have a coach for along time and was very inconsistant BUT a real talented player...got a coach...world #1 and stayed there for a very long time...hmmm

guess it was just luck ;)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Steve as you know, all that's necessary is to get ya a bow and some arras, pick a spot, rear back and let fly. It's all instinctive, just like throwin' rocks... Oh yeah, I almost forgot, aim small, miss small... (grin)

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
I've been told several times on AT a Coach is a waste of time and just there to con people :sbrug: I know a lot of us don't have regular access to a Coach myself included but the times I have, it always had a positive effect on my shooting.

Well, I guess that for an archer without any other goal in archery other than to watch the arrow fly, there isn't need of a coach. But for all who choose to have goals in archery which have to do with "hitting" the target and doing so in a predictable and regular way, a coach in most desirable.

I wouldn't spend any time over thinking those at AT… The difference in having and not having a good coach is IMO about the same as traveling across country in a covered wagon or taking a jet and being in first class! :):):)

I've been lucky or blessed, depending on perspective I guess, but have been well coached in the shooting sports by the best in the USA by virtue of my government service. I'm most appreciative and wouldn't forgo a single minute of the coaching.

Tom

·
j-san = Jason
1,680 Posts
While I've never been coached in traditional archery, I've been fortunate to have had coaching while shooting in Olympic recurve discipline and that set me up to ingrain good habits and good form. I do believe it is wise is to find someone you feel is a good coach/mentor and stick with that person. While I am sure good coaches know what they are doing, too many different viewpoints from multiple coaches can be more harmful than helpful. I never experienced that in archery, but I did while learning to golf.

·
markliep
687 Posts
You don't know what you don't know - a coach can help rectify that - my performance, slow as it is, bumps up a notch with advice from those more knowledgeable. Would never have thought of teaching myself martial arts though I did learn a few good simple fast techniques from bar fighters, but they would never have had a chance in a fair match against a more schooled opponent - oops getting off topic - am looking forward to receiving my oly coaching starting in the fall - M.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Some traditional shooters believe a coach is a waste of time because they don't want anyone pointing out their flaws....that they're creeping over 2" at full draw or snap shooting or whatever the problem maybe.

for me if I would have even and a decent coach when first starting out I could have learned the basics at least.

Watching the NASP Nationals in Louisville Ky 2 months ago those kids had spot on form they would draw the bow,anchor,aim,release....and most had only been shoot for a year or two at the most.....all because they had some coaching.

No doubt in my mind the next top level archer will come from the NASP program.

Dewayne Martin

Reactions: DDD

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have not had formal coaching in archery yet, but I know that is the missing piece to take my shooting to the next level. I think that will change soon as I am pretty sure my club is going to have Rod come up for a clinic, just putting the final touches from club stand point before calling Rod. When I was playing golf I was able to get my handicap to 10 by myself, better then most for a part time golfer. Then I took a series of lessons from the club pro and my handicap went down to a 3 in just 3months. The funny thing is there was no big secret that was changed to help me improve. It was the attention to details from a trained eye that made the difference. A little tweak in form but a bigger tweak in the mental side and a better use of my practice time.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sorry to be so long winded, but I just need to say that thanks to guys like you and Tom and a few others here my shooting is better then it has ever been and I have never met you guys or had you watch me shoot. I would not pay to much attention to the hard heads your help and advice is always wanted and greatly appreciated here. I am not a hard head and I am looking forward to a hands on coach. Keep up the good work you do for archery.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Watch an olympic diver. Watch a cage martial artist. Watch an Open tennis player. Do you believe that they got to that level thrashing around in their backyard? Maybe. But, I bet they had a good coach. When I was a compound shooter, every year folks had to have a new bow, the latest sight, a better stabilizer-"yeah, that will make me a better shooter." It never did. It is not the equipment, it is all about technique. If you want the best in archery coaching, to learn a consistent technique that works, call Rod Jenkins. Learn his system and follow his advice. And Rod is always there for you by phone and computer if you need help. If you follow his system, and you really practice and learn his shot sequence, see if it changes your shooting. It did for me. As some on this site say, it is the best money you will ever spend on archery.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The people who believe a coach is a waste of time also say "Ive been shootin for 30 years and I ant never toned and arrow"..I just grip it and rip it...
If you like mediocrity stay where you are if you want to go the next level go spend a day or two with a coach...
I spent two days with Rod Jenkins and other that a bow its the best money Ive spent on the sport.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Getting a national level coach was one of the best investments i have made. I only spent 2 hours with him so far, but such a major improvement. Even though i shoot barbow and he is an olympic coach all aspects still apply.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.