Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the depths of winter (-30C today) we get to hankering for outdoor activities. We shoot twice each week in a school gym and try to keep things interesting my creating 3D challenges that mimic field and hunting conditions. Last night, I was shooting from a chair and thinking, wouldn't it be great to have a tree stand or tower in here. I was thinking about Sid's tower on the Border 3D range. Problem is, it has to be easily portable and easy to set up and take down. I think a step ladder might be a tad shakey. Surely some of you have come up with a solution to this.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Rob,
Just shoot from the bleachers!!! I am sure you would've thought about that if they had them, in my middle school they had a stage in the gym too, I imagine there isn't one of those either. How about 2 ladders and some 2x4's for "scaffolding"?

Have a great day,
Kasey

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
rig something using the Basketball backboard assembly.
I can't see what you have, but it would be more sturdy than a ladder.
rig a hang-on platform of some type up there, use a ladder to approach it.

Reactions: Rob Ingram

·
Registered
644 Posts
PS you could also move to the west coast where the high is 55 today!

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Sounds like cabin fever setting in buddy.....yup..time for the ol' cabin fever cabaret with the Mad trapper of Riverdale.....he was hilarious.

Jer

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob,
Just shoot from the bleachers!!! I am sure you would've thought about that if they had them, in my middle school they had a stage in the gym too, I imagine there isn't one of those either. How about 2 ladders and some 2x4's for "scaffolding"?

Have a great day,
Kasey
No bleachers in this school. There is a stage but it is, of course, behind the firing line. We did shoot from the stage once for a special event.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like cabin fever setting in buddy.....yup..time for the ol' cabin fever cabaret with the Mad trapper of Riverdale.....he was hilarious.

Jer
One of my students is running for Rendezvous Queen this year. I have taught her since she was 8 and she turns 23 today. I feel so old. Also, i avoid R'vous events like the plague. It was really fun 30 years ago, but it has grown tired. Or maybe that's me.
Getting way off topic here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rig something using the Basketball backboard assembly.
I can't see what you have, but it would be more sturdy than a ladder.
rig a hang-on platform of some type up there, use a ladder to approach it.
Now this is a cool idea Steve. We have a wall mounted basket that would have its own shooting lane right at the end of the line. One guy could shoot and have his/her buddy retrieve the arrows while they got out of the chair. Then switch with the partner. Now I am keen to try that.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Clamp a board across the basketball hoop, then club up with a ladder.

-Grant

·
Back Yard Hack
746 Posts
Why not just use a short quad pod (like a 6 or 8 footer) with footing on it to protect the floor from being damaged. They aren't that hard to put up & take down.

Rick

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Not sure how they do it in the Yukon, but around here it seems any of these ideas would turn into lost privileges of the facility. Everybody is sue happy. Heck an adult recently got hurt on a sledding hill and sued, they might make sledding on public land illegal now.

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
that's a buzz kill.
I like Grant's idea, drill a few holes in some short 2x12's & clamp them on.
Ladder up to it.
FIRST check how it's bolted up to the wall, see if strong enough.
RICK - what's a quad pod?
It might be kind of easy to build one like Benzy's post - either from pipe or
4x4s and 2x4s with an axle and some wheels off an old 2-wheeler "dolly".

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Liability is increasingly an issue, especially using public facilities. When you put up a tree stand in the woods, you are just taking your chances but when you invite people to use it, you are liable. Does this suck or what? I know the kids in particular would love an indoor tree stand but they would be the first ones to figure out how to fall out of it or wreck the equipment. Guess I will go back to sitting in chair and pretend I am perched in a big ol' pine on a crisp fall day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts