Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't taken up stringwalking . . . yet. But I've been studying on it. Accurately indexing the crawl you want seems to have as many methods as shooters. This thought occurred to me the other day; I tried it a little bit today, but it seems waaaay too simple.

1.) I tied a very narrow (white) index point around my string at the exact point of the bottom edge of my tab when the top of the tab was set at its max height at the nocking point.

2.) Using the (1/8") stitching on the tab as a scale, I then counted the number of stitches that I moved the bottom of the tab below my index point. This of course is also exactly equal to the dimension of the crawl of the top of the tab beneath my nocking point.

3.) That's all there is to it. One registration mark for crawls up to 2 3/4", simple and quick to read, positive and repeatable indexing.

What am I missing? (Other than crawls greater than 2 3/4", natch! :sbrug:)

Regards,

Salskov

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Are you allowed to have a mark under your nocking point?

If so why don't the walkers just mark their serving at the appropriate points instead of counting stitches?

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
Does this help...?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greysides -

Video inop . . . Do you have a URL you could post?

Regards,

Salskov

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts

About 5 minutes in Jimmy explains how to 'crawl' down the string for the appropriate distance. I'm assuming that's what you are asking about.

From PO down to 5m you use the stitches on the tab as a reference. For example, a 30m crawl might be half way down the tab (previously calibrated by trial and error). Butt the top of the tab to the nock with the leather/metal plate running down one side of the string. Find the appropriate stitch (mid-stitch, between stitches, etc.) for 30m, put your thumb nail on the string opposite the stitch and then slide the top of your tab down to your thumb nail. Grip and rip! :)

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
No marks permitted on the string for Barebow.

-Grant

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No marks permitted on the string for Barebow.

-Grant
Very interesting logic . . . even if I can't fathom it. Neither a string mark nor tab stitching are in the sight picture at full draw, and both serve an identical function whether used singly or xref.

Thanks, though.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
I am with you and say have all the marks you want below the nock, but thems the rules.

Rasyad

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I was looking for was the easiest way to set your crawl when standing in a normal shooting position with an arrow nocked. Being able to set your tab relative to a single "point" on the serving by simply sliding it seemed just that. I can't hunt here, but if I were in the States I'd be setting up my rig like this.

Seems like people would already be using this system . . . that's why I asked for feedback.

Regards,

Salskov

·
Bart Harmeling
3,542 Posts
I've been spending a lot of time practicing with a set crawl. Very accurate as long as I do my part. One of my strings I set up with a double nock set and a tied mark for my 20 yd crawl. This mark is set low so that I slide my tab down to it. I like this setup as it allows me to nock the arrow and find my crawl by touch with little chance of getting them mixed up. I can then adjust the gap for longer or shorter shots. I always have struggled with aiming with a gap that is 20+ inches below the target. The set crawl puts the arrow in line with my eye and reduces the gaps to a few inches within hunting range.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My 20 yard crawl corresponds exactly with the gap between my top two string fingers. I don't even have to look, just drop my thumbnail down and slide the tab. Every 5 yards closer or further is just a quarter inch adjustment up or down.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.