Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo......You guys have to talk me out of it...Slap some sense into to me, so to speak...L.O.L...;).....Jim P.S.....OR, maybe someone could sell me a good Hill style bow, 66" or so, and nothing over 55# @ 28"...:)
No turds, Toads, or Mules, please!

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There's no talking you out of anything! Well if you may. Shoot it low wrist like a compound. If it work...send me a PM.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Soo......You guys have to talk me out of it...Slap some sense into to me, so to speak...L.O.L...;).....Jim P.S.....OR, maybe someone could sell me a good Hill style bow, 66" or so, and nothing over 55# @ 28"...:)
Nothing wrong with H.H bows. I still have a 70", 39 lber that I used to shoot FITA Longbow with. Very forgiving bow. Howard rated them much higher than short twitchy recurves. His record speaks for itself. I would suggest that 66" is too short though.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothing wrong with H.H bows. I still have a 70", 39 lber that I used to shoot FITA Longbow with. Very forgiving bow. Howard rated them much higher than short twitchy recurves. His record speaks for itself. I would suggest that 66" is too short though.
blakey...With a short draw like mine,(about 26" with a Longbow) 66" seems about right...I had a 66" H.H.A. Halfbreed, it shot really nice, my Elburg Condor was 64", it shot like a house a'fire...I should have kept both of those bows......Jim

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim , don't fear the straight stick , they are great
Brian......When their good, there Great...When their not so good, not worth having...My elbow and bow shoulder cant take that kind of beating anymore...Sometimes my heavy Barebow /ILF rigs get to me...Take care.....Jim

·
Registered
9,428 Posts

Jim, if you're going to shoot a Hill style, make sure you've got dental coverage because you'll lose most of your fillings 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,889 Posts
Well dadgum I like em! I have two and both are string follow seven lakes Bows 68 long and I have no handshock. You have to learn how to hold them,,less on top and the bottom fingers hold it. Mine are nice to shoot but they are also cut to centershot. If you get one,,I'd advise you to get a SF for smooth. Get it 68 and if I did not hunt at all,,I'd go 70.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Jim, if you're going to shoot a Hill style, make sure you've got dental coverage because you'll lose most of your fillings ��

I suppose you're referring to the mythical bugaboo "hand shock" I have two count 'em two HHA bows and have not experienced any hand shock at all from either of them.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get one and then sell me that xpert riser :)
Oooh....Scott!...No can do...I'd more likely sell my Spig VBS riser than the Xpert....:)....Do You know where I can get a 66" Ron Maulding, or Harry Elburg "Condor" Hill style, Scott?...:).....Take care!....Jim

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jim, if you're going to shoot a Hill style, make sure you've got dental coverage because you'll lose most of your fillings 😀

Jon....Two things that are often said of a Hill style bow is that they have lotsa Handshock/recoil, and that they are slow, as compared to the Reflex/deflex bows...Both things are too often true, but in the case of a well made Hill style bow, neither of these two negatives are present, at least not bad enough that it should make a huge difference...I Chrono test everything I own, and have for years, and Hill style bows that shoot sweet, also tend to be right up there in arrow speed comparable to most Reflex/deflex longbow designs, and quite a few Factory made recurves, even besting most of the shorter Factory built recurves...I attribute this to proper limb design, and Tiller/Limb timing...I've also shot reflex/deflex longbows that thumped my hand pretty good, some of which were from big name Bowyers...I think that it would be really cool to see Border build a real Hill style bow, but with the super light cores, and high end materials...Might be something........Take care......Jim

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Jim, I'm just teasing you. Guys that shoot them love them and they've been hitting stuff for a long time. There is a bowyer in the UK called Rex Oaks, he makes flat limbed AFB called Sagitarius. These things are works of art and have a big cult following in Team Sagitarius.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jim, I'm just teasing you. Guys that shoot them love them and they've been hitting stuff for a long time. There is a bowyer in the UK called Rex Oaks, he makes flat limbed AFB called Sagitarius. These things are works of art and have a big cult following in Team Sagitarius.

Jon, I know that Your just funnin'....I've heard of Rex Oaks, I'll have to do a Google search and take a look at his bows...;)........Take care.....Jim

·
Registered
9,428 Posts
Jon, I know that Your just funnin'....I've heard of Rex Oaks, I'll have to do a Google search and take a look at his bows...;)........Take care.....Jim
I think he is too old to have a web site but google team Sagitarius Jim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts