Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting for one and a half years.

I shot with a 35# bow I made for three months. I then went to a 55# longbow at the advice of a bow shop owner (geared to compounds).

I did not use the internet much back then and had seen videos of the hunched over "snap" style and thought this was the "Trad" way, and would see me through to my aim (then) of hunting an animal this winter. This is no disrespect to those that shoot this way.

Since joining here I have received an enormous amount of advice and the gift of a complete shooting setup that has improved my shooting in leaps and bounds over the last 4 months.

I have shot over 220 only 3 or 4 times on the 300 round. I shot a IFAA 2D/ 3D course for the first time this past weekend out to 60 yards and the results were pretty dismal (came back with all my arrows though :) )

I have tried to load a video on here on me shooting but each time it tells me the format is wrong and I'm a computer dinosaur! Even I can see that my form is not constant , bow arm drops about 2" on release, anchor not 100% the same, drawing hand after release does not end in the same place. I have to think too much on my whole shooting procedure, foot placement , bow grip, follow through, solid bow arm, consistent anchor, alignment etc.

I am going to give this blank bale thing a good go to try to ingrain my whole shot sequence to second nature. I figure if even the better shooter on here use it it has to be good.

This is not a moan or a feel sorry for me as I love shooting the bow and spend a fair amount of time doing it, maybe too much! I just figure that It would be better to remove these bad habits/ inconsistencies now.

All the best and sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Zulu,
I start and finish every shooting practice session at home on the bale shooting with my eyes shut.
It helps me feel the shot in a way nothing else ever has.
I'd never heard of the bale until a couple of years ago and even then ignored it because I'm a plain dumb A at times,,,but I did eventually catch on ;^)
I set my stance and draw the bow before closing my eyes to take the shot because it's my release and follow through I want to "feel",,,but there's a lot of different drills for different purposes you can do on the bale.
As they say, Google is your friend.

An long posts are good as well.
John.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Matts post on starting kids is pretty much it..then it's refinement really. How good you get depends on the PERFECT practice you do...anyone can fling arrows (like I used to do).

I still have a long way to go if I want to compete but for hunting what I have right now works pretty good.....how good do I want to get.....as good as I can until the fun goes out of it because of it.

I remember talking to Rick Welch. Shooting with him was mind blowing. Three animals stacked one after another - deer 25 yards or so - boar - 35 yards or so and a cougar I think it was way over that.

After our first round (which we didn't shoot these ones) he says hit the deer. I just pulled hit anchor and counted my 2-3 seconds (this gives your bow arm time to settle in) and let er rip...right in the 10.

So he said ok now the boar.....it was hard to tell how far and then I only just felt the shot and I still odn't have an aiming method.....I shot and went under...then he said hit the last one..I asked how far he thought it was and he said...don't know don't care now just shoot it.

I shot and got it high in the back......not a kill but I was even impressed that I hit the darn thing...way farther than I would shoot if I was hunting.

So he shoots the first one - 10 - one behind it - 10 - the far one - 10...I was just standing there with my jaw drooping down.

We paced of the last target and it was around 60 yards..wow.

Rod is the same I think...they just have different ways of getting the same results....I think ROds will help more ppl succeed because there is more of a definite sequence and he can help you add a gapping element if your so inclined......Ricks is just a good anchor and repetition and trusting your shot (it works fine too).

SO there you go..jer

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
This spring is my third trip into traditional archery. I was into it for two years, then out of if for over ten. Tried it again about a year and a half ago, but made the same mistake- too much poundage and too short of a bow. I learned from my mistake this time and started with a 40# and 64" recurve. I no longer snap shoot either. I got to where I was decent with it and am now building back up with a set of 45# limbs that are yielding 53# for me.
I have killed 14 deer with a compound, so I hope to start taking a few with the recurve this fall.

Reactions: Zulu

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Hi Zulu, might not be what you want to hear but to be consistently good you have to think about every part of your shot sequence from your feet placement to your conclusion(every shot). Definitely keep the fun factor going, it's easy to overdo it.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kenn1320,
Do I not take all that into account when I bale? from what I have read it's just the aiming that does not come into play.

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
kenn1320,
Do I not take all that into account when I bale? from what I have read it's just the aiming that does not come into play.
I think all he's saying is that it never really becomes as natural as we'd like. We always need to focus on the process no matter how much time we spend working on it.

I know I certainly do and it is something I need to spend more time on.

-Grant

·
markliep
687 Posts
The form book thats yielded the greatest dividends for me is Rick McKinneys book The simple art of winning - probably cheaper then heading over to North America to take one of Rods courses - while it's an oly form book most of it holds true to the basics of foundation; btw if this helps Ive had to go backwards more than once to go forwards in both my old addiction of martial arts & in archery - seems like the price of progress is lack of any real foward speed most of the time - M

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I think all he's saying is that it never really becomes as natural as we'd like. We always need to focus on the process no matter how much time we spend working on it.

I know I certainly do and it is something I need to spend more time on.

-Grant
Thanks Grant, that is what I meant. Also Zulu while many only blank bale, some of us also aim while doing bale work. I don't do much bale work, unless you count the shooting I do in my basement. Even though I have that distance ingrained, I still aim at it 90% of the time. Some will say you should not be aiming, to each their own. Remember your brain looks for efficiency constantly, so the minute you slip your concious control, your subconcious will jump in and say who needs 7 steps or whatever your sequence is to shoot an arrow, we can do it in 3. The best advice I can give you was given to me, "stay in the shot"!

·
markliep
687 Posts
Fwiw from a relative newb - found that there's about 14 actions total needed for me in a consistent shot sequence - blank bale covers 10 of them, aiming 3 & then there's expansion to release as the last one - might put blank bale work usefulness into context - course thst's what seems to work for me -M

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not expansion and release in the blank bale?

I figure it would not harm me even if the aiming sequence is left out. This part probably takes up more than 1/3 of my time.

·
markliep
687 Posts
Good point - best guess at a rational explanation is that expansion happens balnk bale or not so i omitted it - either way with or without counting it bale covers your shot foundation & a big part of what you gotta get right & that you need before the aim sequence starts - might be more insights to come for noth of us from others - M

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have read many articles that say it is of no good as the aiming is left out.

For me on the longer shots this is part that destroys what little form I have!

·
Barefaced tightropewalker
8,512 Posts
I have read many articles that say it is of no good as the aiming is left out.
But, is it?

It could be.

Come to full draw on the bale. Establish the balance fore and aft, ready the expansion muscles, settle the float and expand.

No target needed at that point. It will be at some point of course.

It establishes the mental sequence. Even during aiming the mind needs to be aware of the backs involvement as once the aim is settled your attention is back there again.

At least, that's my routine.

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks, I was just stating what I had read.

I read an article by Kisik Lee (right name?) and in his timeline the aiming was a fairly small part of the sequence.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
foot placement it to get you lined up to the target the same everytime and you can play with closed and open stances.....once you learn that you will know how to shoot when your KNEELING.

I have seen ppl shoot completely different ( me included) shooting kneeling - up hill downhill.

ALways something to adapt to...jer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts