Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, seems that Uncle Sam gifted me with a large sum of money in the form of a tax refund. Seeing this, the resident head of household determined that a home remodel would be in order. I've been stripping wallpaper off the dining room walls and in the entire kitchen. Then I had to hire a contractor to come in and texture the bare walls. Now contractors like to fund their children's college fund, so that hurt a bit. Next off to the paint store. Three gallons of primer and 3 gallons of paint. They don't give that stuff away either. Paint brushes, rollers and handles, masking tape, paint trays, the list is unending.

I worked all day on my job out of town, came in, and there she is, ready and waiting. Paint brush in hand, and said honey let's go to work! Now I have to work during the day, and paint by night. Will take a few days to get it all done. But that's not all! Now we need new dining room furniture! I looked at one set, and saw a new custom bow by Morrison, Border, and Dryad! Best they have available! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!! Nice dining room furniture is just not necessary in my books, but I'm not stupid! She WILL have her furniture or else!

Now that's not all!!!!!!!! After the painting and new furniture, we have to go to the mall and Hobby Lobby for new decorating ideas! I'm not sure which is cheaper, going along, or divorce. But after 40 years, and retirement looming, divorce is probably not a viable option. So, anybody willing to hide me for awhile until she calms down???????????

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
John, friend, all I hear is - well, nothing, haha.
We just finished the last steps in our ? 15 year remodel.
Kitchen and dining room.
My 90 year old house is totally new.
Well, except for the crawl space and basement....those remain "old".
YOu forgot to mention DRAPES.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Couldnt happen to a more deserving guy:). And dont come to my house, we are redoing the cabinets and painting the living room

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I can feel yer pain buddy, for the price of that new washer and dryer my wife just HAD to have I could have framed and dried in a decent indoor archery range.....

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hello
Hant love grand. Or was it fascination.
Its just cheaper to cater to her wishes.

After i did all you guys speak of doing.
Then starts the musical chair thing-E
Its spring coming on. Time of the year to rearrange and wash every thing.

But that's the way to keep peace.
Hide you bet. In my shop lab.
Retire you say. My job was my safety net.
Just retired to a full time job, with no pay classification.
Just a superintendent now to over see me. ;) [ Later

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
I have no honey do list. Never have, never will.

If I ever remodel, it will be hired out. I will go away for the week and it will be done by the time I get back. And absolutely no trips to the craft store.

I repeat for emphasis...I BASK IN THE GLORY of NO HONEY DO LIST !!!!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Maybe Uncle Sam could hide you in the witness protection program under different circumstances since he was so nice to "gift" you your own money.

Good luck with the wife and honey do list. Many here understand your plight.

·
Registered
985 Posts
On the bright side, you shouldn't even get a raised eye brow the next time you drop a grand (make that 2 dining room chairs) for a new bow.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
I have no honey do list. Never have, never will.

If I ever remodel, it will be hired out. I will go away for the week and it will be done by the time I get back. And absolutely no trips to the craft store.

I repeat for emphasis...I BASK IN THE GLORY of NO HONEY DO LIST !!!!!
That's pretty macho talk… I suspect you're either not married OR divorced! :):):)

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a spare room upstairs, so come on over to upstate NY,,,,, oh, by the way while your here, I do have a room or two that needs painting...........

·
Registered
193 Posts
I feel your pain. A tornado and hail strom ripped through my area four years ago. I've hardly had time to pick up a bow until very recently. Everyday it's been go to work, come home, work on the house, eat(if I'm lucky) and go to bed. During that time, I took a few weekends off to shoot a few tournaments(poorly), just for some diversion. Now, it's almost done, got a few more windows to replace, make all new screens, and some painting. Oh yea, my two vehicles were totaled during the storm too. Was only able to replace one. Oh, and had to battle cancer during all that.

But I'm still here, things could have been worse. "What doesn't kill you...yada, yada, yada..." Things always seen to even out in the end. Take my word for it, it will pass.

·
Registered
303 Posts
lucky for me all leslie's wants is a set of inno ex power limbs. i'll be sure to order the poundage too heavy haha

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I have no honey-do list either...but, I've been in the field of home renovations since I began working. Something needs fixed or replaced? I do the work myself, save a ton of money and the girlfriend loves it. I buy what I want, and as long as funds are available to do so I won't catch any flack at all. I swear the price paid is insignificant as long as I can show how much I SAVED because something was on sale or otherwise discounted lol. That, and I make a conscious effort to try and get her the things that catch her eye. Luckily her interests/ hobbies are not as expensive as us guys! That's how I got the shiny new motorcycle last spring. I had just sold one bike, and she said " but you still have 2" and I said " yep, and I negotiated a great deal on this one, want to take a ride with me?" LOL

The key for me with a honey-do list...is to not let it become a list and to do the work myself at a savings.Thankfully I don't have to worry too much in the way of storm damage here.

Buy that furniture and get it out of the way..it will keep her happy and since it lasts a long time you will have your sanity back and get to hopefully search for a new bow.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow, I'm feeling more and more fortunate. My only home improvement project at the moment is working on building my new workshop in the back yard.

Reactions: longrifle346
1 - 20 of 25 Posts