Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
General advice
1 Use the deep hook to hold the string. Release by relaxing your hand.

2 Use back tension to draw and hold the arrow.

3 Be consistent in everything. Start with a consistent anchor point.

4 Use a draw weight that you can comfortably pull back and hold.

5 Accept that you do see the arrow and it is a reference point.
(You dont have to focus on it but its fine if you do.)

IMO
1 Shoot three under, its works great.

2 Get the arrow under your eye and aim down the arrow.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Just make sure you start with a ligh enough bow.Below 40# however strong you are.
30# is fine, with a takedown you can up the weight after developing a proper form and a controlled execution.

r.mika

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Just make sure you start with a ligh enough bow.Below 40# however strong you are.
30# is fine, with a takedown you can up the weight after developing a proper form and a controlled execution.

r.mika
==========
Hello and welcome to Tad Talk
He has given you very very good advise on a 30# bow.

Little add on. Having a ILF bow . You can later increase your weight if you so desire.
By buying different weighted limbs. Also look at a ILF riser that's comparable with different MFG limbs. To give a limb choice ops-ion :cheers: [ Later

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be sure to find someone to help teach me. I've been watching a lot of Jeff Kavanagh, and I've improved my stance and release. I'll probably be getting my bow soon, as my acc. name suggests it'll be a PSE Razorback, it's a 30 lb draw. I hope to get it soon, it's $100 at Cabela's, so hopefully I get that soon, waiting on cash right now. I'll be sure to, when I get better with this bow, better and upgraded limbs. Thanks again guys!

·
straight arrow
612 Posts
One thing nobody mentions in the beginning is draw length. Draw weight is rated usually at 28", so if you draw 27-28-29" you will have no issues. My draw length is 31"+, and not knowing that most of the catalog bows hit a wall (it is referred to as 'stack') at around 30", I struggled with good release at the end of my draw with my new 64" bows when I started learning 3 years ago, fighting stack. I configured a 68" bow this spring and now draw to nearly 32" without feeling stack and my form, release, and accuracy have improved a lot.

The "Classics" was mentioned, be sure to watch all the videos you can. Jimmy Blackmon covers a lot with his videos.

One thing that helped my learning was finding the online FITA coaches manuals. Google them, there are a lot of photos for posture, form, grip, and so on, and explanations as to why you do certain things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you very much for the information on draw length, I'm about 29.5" draw, so I might as well say 30". So I shouldn't have much problem, I tested the bow and had no problems and felt absolutely nothing. I like the Razorback and I will even post some progress if you guys would like. That won't happen for a while though, as right now I only have my compound.... I prefer recurve already and have only shot once.

·
Premium Member
12,275 Posts
welcome to the forum.
Certainly we'd like some reports on your progress when you get your bow.
Likely some questions might come up and you'll feel like tossing them in here.
Lots of real good technical folks here to help you with any questions on setups or tuning, different aiming techniques & whatever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Watch the Push on Youtube. It will open you up some new ideas of how to aim if you want to do that or instinctive. its a good place to begin. Also Nu Sensei is a good channel to follow. He has great content on form. Also listen to the Push podcast. Lots of good information there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts