Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illinois has decided to protect feral pigs. The only time they can be shot is durring the deer gun season. This is supposed to keep people from introducing feral hogs on their property. I think it's like telling the Chicago cops that they can't arrest gang bangers all year. It will keep them from commiting crimes.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Happened with DEER in Princeton NJ...banned deer hunting altogether. The same " beautiful wildlife" arguement was no where to be found years later when the roses were eaten out of the back yard and the BMWs started getting cracked up. Then, the deer were labelled a nuisance and they PAID a company to come in and shoot them at night over bait.

Feral pigs is a whole different situation...they will be even more sorry.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
They must be trying to save people the trouble of doing it for themselves,because unchecked pigs will do it for them every time.

Must be some of the dumbest well educated people on the planet that came up with that one,,,LOL.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
They must be trying to save people the trouble of doing it for themselves,because unchecked pigs will do it for them every time.

Must be some of the dumbest well educated people on the planet that came up with that one,,,LOL.
And you put it lightly. Next they will make sure there is a hot line to call if your being attacked when your walking your dog.
DDD

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
wow, sorry to hear about that,dick! they are a real scourge!! there was a rancher here that turned loose over 500 pigs once to kill rattlesnakes. in three years they had spread all over the range and ruined water sources and tore the land up. everyone got together and we rounded up hundreds of pigs and killed a lot of others we couldn't pen. took another 6 years before we got rid of the darn things!

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
We actually have a bounty on them in my county.
Tell us or better yet tell Illinois who's winning? Please don't take this wrong. A few of my buddies go to Texas ever year and try to shoot as many as they can. Each time they come back and say there are so many pigs and their getting smarter.
DDD

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Would be cool to be able to go out pig hunting all year like some states allow. Here in Mi we can shoot them if we have a hunting license, but were FAR from having a huntable population.

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/outd...-coming-from-closer-to-home.html#.U1LO1cc1zOc

" Looking to prevent the further spread of feral hogs, the IDNR has a new weapon in an administrative rule that makes it illegal to hunt or shoot feral swine outside of the firearm, muzzleloader, late-winter antlerless and CWD deer seasons. Hunters must be hunting deer legally during those seasons to be able to shoot a wild hog. "

That's some bizarre logic. Why don't they just make it illegal to import and/or release hogs into the wild? And declare 'no closed season' on the porkers?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I like Florida's solution. They're considered property of the landowner and you can shoot'em or trap'em at your discretion, 24/7/365. I kept a rifle in the truck, one on the golf cart, and one on my front end loader. I killed every one I saw, big, little, and in between, and gave them to folks who needed/wanted the meat.

Farmers down there were losing millions of dollars annually due to crop/land damage...that didn't seem to bother them. But they got real tired real quick of spending all that money to build and maintain golf courses only to find them torn all to pieces overnight.....

·
Premium Member
14,307 Posts
pigs in Illinois is too close to home for me.
Will they swim the Mississippi River?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.