Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I was under the assumption that any 19” riser with medium 45# tradtech blackmax limbs would equal about [email protected], but I’m reading through old post and seeing that they can also be up to 5 pounds heavier depending on the riser. I really do not want to go more then 45 pounds and would really like to be at 42-44 as I can control that weight well and use it for whitetails and 3D, more weight equals a slippery slope back to TP… Would I be better off with a 21” riser? I guess 2 more inches isn’t going to ruin tree stand hunting, but then again would I go too low in weight?

Any input ?

·
Registered
797 Posts
I don’t know about any riser because some have different limb pad angles but Tradtech being five pounds heavier I would think would be unlikely. My 19” Satori with 45# Tradtech Black Max 2.0 wood carbon limbs with a brace of 8” scale at 43#. I was just checking that today.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t know about any riser because some have different limb pad angles but Tradtech being five pounds heavier I would think would be unlikely. My 19” Satori with 45# Tradtech Black Max 2.0 wood carbon limbs with a brace of 8” scale at 43#. I was just checking that today.
That’s good to know because that the set up I’m leaning towards.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
TradTech limbs are measured at 3 turns out. Turning the down tight adds approxiately 10%.
Beacuse the are set or 17" riser, riser length other than 17 will change the draw weight.
So 19" riser, 45# limbs, +/- 43# with 3 turns out. Limb bolts down, +/- 48#

Reactions: Waymaker86

·
Registered
797 Posts
I have also heard the three turns out rating from Lancaster but with my 17” Discovery riser I have never got poundage over the limb rating, it could be my bow scale.
I just checked my Satori with 40# Tradtech limbs and with the limb bolts all of the way down and I get 38#.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Different manufacturers have slightly different limb pad angles, especially on shorter risers. Even though the ilf system has been out for many years. Most all 25" risers have the same limb pad angles from my understanding. Where it gets interesting is when you start getting into shorter risers, as they may or may not have the same geometry for the limb pads as the 25", which is why the 1# per inch change for a riser length change is rule of thumb, not a hard and fast rule. As I recall, when the tradtech black max limbs were launched, the only trad tech riser that was available was the tradtech titan, and suspect that the 17" model is what they used to check the limb weights. You'd have to call Lancaster, to verify that, however. If the limb pad angles on your riser is different from the one they measured it on, then that would explain the weight difference.

But, I'm old and sometimes forgetful. I may be way off base here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I am fairly positive that the Tradtech Titan II riser has a 17 degree limb pad angle. Taking that into consideration, a limb pad angle different than that and typically greater will make most limbs come in at a heavier weight.
Knowing the limbpad angle of your intended riser would be very important before venturing into the unknown.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts