TradTalk Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

If I use a 59" string on a bow with medium ILF limbs, can I reasonably expect to be able to use the same string on any set of medium limbs?

·
Registered
240 Posts
That has been my experience. It may need twists added/removed, but I haven't had any limbs that needed a different string as long as they were all the same size.

·
Bart Harmeling
3,347 Posts
For example, I have a set of original Dyrad Epics and a set of Uukhas. Both are long. The Epics take a longer string because they have a greater curve.

·
Registered
240 Posts
For example, I have a set of original Dyrad Epics and a set of Uukhas. Both are long. The Epics take a longer string because they have a greater curve.
That's a good point.

All of my limbs are similar design.
Mediums: Samick Universal, SF Axiom+
Longs: Soul, Samick Privilege, Kinetic Bamboom

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can typically make strings 3 1/2" less amo for most of my limb/riser combinations without having to have excessive twists. Hoyt limbs on Hoyt risers I have to lengthen to 3" less, formula another 1/4" longer. So for the most part I'd say yes, should work out for you. Which riser and limbs are you using?

Steve

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,461 Posts
I've found that to be an untrue statement. I grabbed some backup limbs at the last minute before leaving for a travel tournament. When I actually needed them, the string was way too short and the brace height was too high. I couldn't untwist the string enough to make it work. Fortunately, my partially delaminated limb made it through the end of the two day FITA field tournament. And these were both conventional recurve limbs. It may work most of the time, but you better make sure you test first, because sometimes it doesn't work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts