Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to ILF and I am thinking of getting a 17" Hoyt satori riser and long limbs. I have a 30" draw and just would like to confirm that this setup would allow for my draw length without having issues of stacking.
I am looking at getting a pair of cheap wood limbs at lower poundage to play around first and then if I like the ILF get a pair of good limbs at my hunting weight.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

· Registered
41 Posts
My first ILF bow was/is a 21" W&W Black Elk riser with matching short 40lb Black Elk limbs. I'm also using an inexpensive WNS short limbs rated at ~34lbs with my 29.5" DL with no "stacking".
The IFL is great to swap out limbs quickly but I'm not liking how the limbs clank and flop around when unstrung. I'm now considering a DAS 15" DX5 riser/limbs from 3Rivers.

· Premium Member
22,126 Posts
Should be ok, especially with high end limbs. Mainly a hunting Bow?
If target or 3-D I'd say at least a 19 or 21 inch riser at 30 inch draw.

· Premium Member
22,126 Posts
My first ILF bow was/is a 21" W&W Black Elk riser with matching short 40lb Black Elk limbs. I'm also using an inexpensive WNS short limbs rated at ~34lbs with my 29.5" DL with no "stacking".
The IFL is great to swap out limbs quickly but I'm not liking how the limbs clank and flop around when unstrung. I'm now considering a DAS 15" DX5 riser/limbs from 3Rivers.
That clanking unstrung is usually no biggie.

· Registered
30 Posts
I draw at 29”. I have a 19“ Satori riser with medium limbs. I would imagine this setup would work well for you, but maybe a bit better with long limbs. The 17” riser lacks ATA accessory holes whereas the 19” & 21” have them.

· Registered
1,913 Posts
You'll be fine with a 17" and longs. I have a 30.5" AMO DL and there are even some mediums I can run on my 17" and only just hit stacking, or even be shy of it. Just depends on the DFC.

A 19" with mediums will have a bigger sight picture, at same AMO length.

· Registered
180 Posts
I have a 29.5" draw (30.5" on compound) and have a 19" Satori with Medium Black Maxx 2.0 limbs and have no issues stacking. My brother has a 30.5" draw (32" on compound) and he has shot it and not noticed any stacking. I'd think you could probably get away with it on a 17" with a high quality set of Mediums but I'd probably lean more for a set of Longs. My 35# set are perfect for 3D and just putting arrows downrange. I have a 45# set I use for hunting that suit me just fine for Whitetail and hogs though I'd probably opt for a 50#-55# set if I were to do it all over again.

· Registered
89 Posts
It is interesting to hear that even the mediums would be ok, I thought that they would stack at my draw length.
Its because the term stacking is very relative and subjective on the forums.Many archers are used to their equipment and or haven’t shot a smooth limb to feel the difference, to their non stacking limb.I am 30,25 inch on the draw length and I never had a 17 inch riser with long conventional limbs which felt smooth at the back end of the draw,they all stacked.Getting used to it let you ignore it,cause the body is used to it.

· Registered
122 Posts
I am looking at getting a pair of cheap wood limbs at lower poundage to play around first and then if I like the ILF get a pair of good limbs at my hunting weight.
If this is the case I'd recommend a 19" riser unless you don't mind dipping into the stack a bit. Also another important question is how you are measuring your 30" draw length. Is that 30" AMO?

· Registered
1,913 Posts
Its because the term stacking is very relative and subjective on the forums.Many archers are used to their equipment and or haven’t shot a smooth limb to feel the difference, to their non stacking limb.I am 30,25 inch on the draw length and I never had a 17 inch riser with long conventional limbs which felt smooth at the back end of the draw,they all stacked.Getting used to it let you ignore it,cause the body is used to it.
Some truth in this. Most longs on a 17" would not reach what I would understand as stacking, despite my DL being a little longer than yours. A little stiffening up is what I like at the end of the draw and why longbows feel so right. I don't want room back there (which is why the super curves are no good here, while others love them).

From a performance perspective, to get the most from a limb, you want to be just shy of the point the limb starts to lock up, for me that's real 'stacking'. DFCs of many conventional limbs will start to slightly tick up from 29-29.5" or so, but are not yet beyond spec from a limb energy perspective until the curve gets much steeper still.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts