Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot 3D and have never been coached ,but need it! I really would like to get myself some professional help. If you yourself was too choose, tell us who and why?

If Len Cardinal is still avalible, he must be getting up in age?
or Rod Jenkins.

I live in Michigan so both their home bases are about the same from my area.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I was fortunate enough to have so Coaching from Kim Hyung Tak from South Korea, it was an amazing experience. Although an Olympic Coach of the highest level his personal passion is shooting the Traditional Korean Horn bow.

He taught a 15 year old kid how to shoot in 15min with near perfect Form, during our warmup sessions Kim was doing Bruce Lee style 3 finger push ups (he's in his 60's), when he was manipulating me for alignment he could tell where I've had previous injuries, he is pretty mind blowing. It was winter of 2008 and Summer of 2009 I won IFAA Euro Fields and 5 weeks later WA3D Worlds.

If I ever get the chance I would like to spend some time with Rod, I like his style.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
How much are you willing to change?

-Grant

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Kudu, Len Cardinale is a long time personal friend and my mentor in archery for 30+yrs? He's a wonderful coach, the best IMO, and man. We've had many many wonderful conversations over the years, in lessons as well as hunting camps. A member of both the Hunting and Archery Halls of Fame, not to mention a former Olympic coach,my choice is unquestionably Lenny.... And, he is still coaching regularly.

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tradarcher thanks.

I know Len is good just dont hear about him much in my neck of the woods.

I know most clinic type coaching is a two day affair "weekend"

I just wonder what could all be covered in such a time period.

At the present I shoot a olympic style riser three under in the "bare bow style" no rest or plunger,configuration.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
I recommend you find a JOAD group in your area and look at getting regular coaching. Nothing beats a second, trained set of eyes watching on a regular basis.

-Grant

·
Registered
332 Posts
I too have been wanting to get a coach locally and have tried a few Internet search to little avail. I thought Joad was just for kids but that broadens my search of they take adults

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
I would choose Kisik Lee, or coach Kim. They visit my area. I have watched them coach and I like their approach.

A coach and a clinic are not the same thing. I have had the same coach now for about four years. In my opinion, it is best to have a coach that see's you shoot outside of coaching sessions, at tournaments, or in the field.

Now, I would take a Rod Jenkin's clinic if he came down to my area. I think that the four years I have spent with my current coach would help me take more away from a weekend with Rod, than if I came in cold. Even today, I end up with more questions than answers out of each coaching session. That is why you need to have constant follow-up. We don't teach kid's algebra in a weekend. We do it progressively with practice tailored to each step forward. You can't do it in one jump.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
Brainstorm,

Does this sound like someone should jump into the on-line, webcam based, coaching business? It would not be the same as in person but I bet it would work, and be especially valuable for folks that are not in areas where good coaches are available. Heck, I do most of my guitar lessons on line now. It is hard for me to find good Delta Blues guitar teachers, even in the Los Angeles area.

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,696 Posts
The performance archery series is really good. They are my favorite on line instruction videos.

I was suggesting that someone could set up a business coaching via video teleconference. That would be cool. I have a really nice webcam that I put on a tripod for capturing real time practice video. I could easily stream that over the web if I had an on line coach.

·
We few, We happy few...
1,983 Posts
How about a Grammer Coach?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
My brain knows very little about Grammer at 7am when I've just woken up.

Someone pulled me up on my spelling on AT, you have to consider these Forums are international and I was using the Queens English.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.