Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A while ago I started a thread asking about alternative fletching glues. Many people recommended Gorilla Super Glue with the blue cap. I bought it and used it. I found that I tended to put too much glue on the quill with it. Sometimes it would run towards the nock. Then I got it down pretty good, but I had to be very careful with the applicator.

I tie flies and used other types of dispensers for using glue. I found these cheap ones on AMAZON. They work great and lay a thin line of glue down the center of the quill. No waste or runs or mess.

Musical instrument Wood Table Floor Flooring

·
Spearhead
3,869 Posts
Gil, keep me posted on this I’m curious as to how long the glue will last in the bottle.
I dislike the large tip on glue bottles.

John, do you gouge out the medium of the feather or just score a line in the medium.

Good thread

Chad

·
Registered
789 Posts
Gil, keep me posted on this I’m curious as to how long the glue will last in the bottle.

John, do you gouge out the medium of the feather or just score a line in the medium.

Good thread

Chad
Chad -

I score a centerline gouge . . . the softness of the quill’s interior does the rest.
( note : I draw the scribe “backwards” and don’t chisel the scribe ”forwards” )

I like it because

- the quill’s gouge for a bead of glue is bombproof in hard usage . . .

- it leaves no mess outside the fletching . . .

regards,

John

Reactions: Coodster

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will let you know Chad. Should be fine. I use similar bottles for tying flies, except when you you put the word FLY in front of it it cost 10 times more. If it works out I will send you one.

Gil

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will definitely need a small piece of wire to clean the needle now and then. I am using my fly tying needle for now. I will make some fine wire needles for these also.
Drinkware Table Liquid Wood Fluid

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I have used that type bottle in the past. I used one of my wife’s sewing pins to keep it clean. I used it with the Saunders NPV glue. Unfortunately that glue tends to turn thick quickly so I had to keep adding MEK to thin it for fletching. I bought a quart of the glue so I was doing the mixing for awhile. But I really liked the way I could get a nice line of glue on the quill. I have since gone back to fletch Tite but no more pints or quarts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts