Trad Talk Forums banner

Ideal POD for 3D at 30 yards

Tags
ideal pod yards
3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  SteveM 
#1 ·
Looking to set up my bow for a local 3D tourny. It will be out to 30 yards max with unmarked distances. The majority of shots will be in the 22 to 27 yard area with the occasional 30 or 30+ yard shot to keep us honest.

I was thinking of raising my nock to a 25 yard point on. But I'm wondering if it's better to do a 30 yard point on and start from there gapping lower.

Basically what is the better approach and will yield the smallest gaps.

Shooting full length Victory NVX 23 500 (7.1 gpi) with a 100 gr point full length at 38lbs. So the speed is there for a flat trajectory.

#2 ·
Its a personal question only you can answer. I like a 30yd po for a 30yd max. On a 25yd max, I set my po to 25. Others like their po to be closer and dont mind aiming over their point of impact. I dont like to cover what Im trying to hit. You need to figure out what works for you.

Reactions: Navan-James
#6 ·
For 30 yards and in I prefer a 25-26 yard point on. With the right combination of speed and arrow length it's possible to have holds where you never have to hold more than 6" above or below out to 30.

I just got a new setup I'm playing with that has a max gap of 4" under 25 and the same for drop at 30. That's just about perfect for me.

If you don't like holding over set a 30 yard point on. You should be able to get that with a max gap around 15-18 yard and about 8-9" with the right combo. I used to setup with the 30 yard P.O. but I've found a 25 gives me more fudge factor if I'm off. With a bigger gap and more drop from mid range to point on I tend to have more high/low hits. With a 25 I can settle on the 10 ring and let it float a little. Even if I'm off a bit on distance I tend to still catch the 10 ring.

#7 ·
I would set mine up to give me 30 at the top of the animal, recognizing that they are not the same size. My longbow is 23 yard point on with wood arrows. It works pretty well for IBO where the average shot is about 22 yards.

#8 ·
I went with a 25 yard point on since it seems to make the gaps smaller. I'm using the arrow shaft's diameter to measure gaps and it comes down to:

Yards ---- Arrow shaft
10 ---- 2.5 Below
15 ---- 2 Below
20 ---- 1 Below
25 ---- 0 Point on
30 ---- 1 Above

#9 ·
Arrow diameters is a good idea. At a distance we all see inches and feet differently. And the subconscious mind is no good at numbers, but it can see images and just may be able to count up to three images in a stack. Not much more than that. - lbg

Reactions: Rednef
#10 ·
I did a little more fine tuning. I don't like aiming over my point of impact at 30 yards. So what I did is a little face walking. Currently for 10 to 25 yards I'm anchoring with my middle finger in the corner of the mouth and the thumb knuckle behind the jaw. For 30 all I do is move down a finger, anchor with the index finger in the corner of the mouth. This gives me about 32 yards point of which isn't a problem for 30 yards.

Didn't see anything in the rules about face walking so it should be legal. They only specify that "string walking" is not allowed. Fingers have to touch the arrow nock.

BTW I'm a string walker, that is how I learned to shoot a bow so gapping is all new to me. Gapping doesn't seem hard but I do like string walking better, just feels more natural to me having the arrow pointing at what I want to hit. I'm also more accurate with string walking but I'm going to definitely give gapping a real hard try and see how comfortable and good I can get at it.

#11 ·
If you'd prefer to gap rather than face-walk, you might try raising your nocking point to get to point-on. Often the arrows will fly "good enough".

#12 ·
Hi Jim, I already raised my nocking point to get a 25 yard point on. I prefer the face walking to reach 30 yards as oppose to covering what I'm aiming at with the shaft. Just move one finger down to hit 30 yards, gap for 10 - 25 yards. Going one finger down doesn't feel uncomfortable or affect my shooting or tuning so I'm sticking with it. Couldn't stand covering up my target, I like having what I'm shooting at in sight even if I'm aiming lower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.