Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first IBO worlds in the longbow division. I'm just curious how everyone is setting up their arrows? Shaft material, point weight, and fletching set up.

Thank you,

Scott

·
Registered
996 Posts
Scott, I am no expert and wood arrows dont always agree with me, but I will tell you what I know.

I gave up on bareshafting wood arrows, it is not an easy task. I fletch them up and shoot them until they hit where I want them to. I will alter point weight between 100 and 125g, and cut the shaft a little at a time to get them right. I use varying thicknesses of stick on felt pads on my side plate to adjust the kick out of the arrow. I will also fine tune with brace height and rubber catwhiskers on the string.

At this point, I am shooting an Imperial by Omega Longbows, pulling 42#@30. Im drawing somewhere around 29.25" to 29.5". My arrows are Sitka Spruce spined at 58-59#, cut 30 5/8, 100g tip, 4" feathers, weighing around 510g, footed with aluminum on the rear so I dont bust a shaft with a nock hit when I practice.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I shoot POC, 5/16 4" fletch. ( that 4" fletch is mandatory minimum in Modern Longbow I believe) I do bareshaft tune, length and point weight selected to achieve tune. Its a balancing act as I want a light arrow for the flattest trajectory I can get, yet I also want a point on distance at about 30 yards with a high anchor.

·
Back Yard Hack
757 Posts
Kind of off topic, but I have it on very good authority that the 4" fletch & screw in point rules will be done away with for next year. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered up some arrows from elite archery. POC 125 up front full length shaft 55-58 spine for my [email protected] centaur. Final weight should end up around 400 grains. Thanks to everyone who responded it definitely helped me figure out what to go with.

What is your thoughts on classic vs macro nocks?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Scott, how are you getting a 55-58# full length POC shaft with 125g tip weight and finished arrow to weigh 400g? Assuming it is 11/32, I would imagine you would be lucky to get a raw shaft to way 350g. Add tip, fletching,nock and I figure you are approaching 500g.

Does somebody have a secret supply of POC shafts that weigh less than 300g???

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
ScottE, I've got some of those exact arrow I use to shoot with 100 grain heads and they were 455....yours will be about 480 or so if I'm not mistaken.

Still should work nicely though.

Dewayne

Reactions: ScottE

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was just going off what the guy at elite arrows told me what the approximate finished weight will be. Maybe he meant just the raw shaft.

480 is what my current arrows weigh so that would be nice.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've got some 55 spine barrel tapered 11/32 cedar, 31" long from elite arrows that weigh 420 grains. I've got 47 spine parallel 5/16th's spruce, 30.5 inches long that weigh 400 grains.

I got raw 5/16 parallel spruce shafts from hildebrand in 45 spine that I left full length. They ended up being around 390-400 grains when finished.

Light shafts are out there. Just ask around.

·
Pete
5,612 Posts
Was shooting Hilderbrand 30"×11/32nd, breasted spruce shafts, 280 raw weight add 70grn TopHat brass points, noc and 3×4" feathers totalled 372grn. I was shooting a Falco longbow, 40# at 28" bow drawing about 29" so 42otf. Foc 8.5. I had no trouble shooting A grade scores in 3d and field with this settup, longest target is 55 yards. With the TopHat points I was able to add small amounts of weight, blutac, in the hollow at the end to get all shafts within 2grns with little effort. Shafts held up very well and none were damaged. How this equates to your situation I have no idea, but I hope this helps some. Good luck.

Reactions: markliep

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Scott, I am no expert and wood arrows dont always agree with me, but I will tell you what

At this point, I am shooting an Imperial by Omega Longbows, pulling 42#@30. Im drawing somewhere around 29.25" to 29.5". My arrows are Sitka Spruce spined at 58-59#, cut 30 5/8, 100g tip, 4" feathers, weighing around 510g, footed with aluminum on the rear so I dont bust a shaft with a nock hit when I practice.

Hope this helps.
Tony, I'm not longbow shooter as you know and really have no dog in this fight but I don't believe a wood arrow footed with aluminum is legal for IBO...

Just wanted to clarify that.

Dewayne Martin

·
Registered
216 Posts
I shoot ACME premium's 11/32 POC shafts 28'' long with 100g tips with 5'' feathers with 42lbs this gives me a point on at 25 yrds . I make my own arrows from straightening to finishing and cut my own feathers. who knows maybe that's why I suck. LOLOLOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.