Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had crazy day yesterday running free archery range at Tallinn Tourist Fair and then driving 80 miles for 5pm to an Indoor Tourney only to find my small box of spares with my Plungers wasn't with me, I shot with a borrowed cheap Plunger that didn't fit and wasn't tuned to the bow, arrows kept dropping off shelf and plunger rattling/turning around after every shot, it was very distracting and groups pretty much non existing.:crymeariv

My phone started ringing as I walked to start shooting, big panic to turn it off and bigger panic to shoot in time limit at the arrow dropped off the shelf so many times I was restarting the shot 4-5 times every end, funniest moment was my youngest kid screaming at me from the toilet to help him while I was on the shooting line, everybody was laughing.

I wont EVER be caught like that again.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
yup - been there done that but it was a tennis tourney I was playing in and running and had family asking when we could go and eat constantly - hard to focus.

jer

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. So you break down(remove rest/plunger) your bows prior to transporting them? With a family of my own, I barely have time to get to the shoot, let alone set the bow back up and tune it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's just not me. One summer I shot the Bow Hunters Festival here in Central Oklahoma and made the shoot off sitting in first position with a 193. My two youngest (boy/girl) we're with me and started fighting, they were 4 and 9 at the time. First the crying started that eventually elevated to wailing. Before they called for adult longbow to step up I made the decision to notify the officials that I would give up my shoot off position and referee my children. I realized that a hot muggy day in August in Oklahoma was probably not conducive to happy kids when all was said and done. We subsequently left and went and had ice cream. Still one of the best times I've had with my kids and archery. Always try and make lemonade with your situation.

LBL

·
Spearhead
3,342 Posts
I know what your child screamed from the bathroom for all to hear.

"DAD WILL YOU WIPE MY BUTT"

Yeah I have 3.

Being a father is the most stressful/rewarding job ever, wouldn't trade it for the world.

Chad

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Friend of mine showed up at a 3-D shoot and forgot his glove, quiver and arrows. We lent him some and he shot with them in his back pocket. Oh wait a minute, that was me.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what your child screamed from the bathroom for all to hear.

"DAD WILL YOU WIPE MY BUTT"

Chad
Right on the money Chad.:p

Just a crazy weekend, setting up equipment for tourist spot in Medieval Tallinn, going to Tallinn Tourist Fair and running fee archery range for kids, driving to 1.5 hours to the tourney, I was bound to have missed something.

It was crazy (but fun) day today, same routine except I had no tourney and I had both my kids all day while Katrin went to a course in south Estonia, she wont be back till 11pm.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I've often wondered why people with kids do stuff like that, then I remember that day we were at the local pony club with my little darling and everything she'd forgotten was my fault.
No worries though, I get to send the grandkids home full of Coke,artificial colouring and a new puppy nowdays.
Good on ya' Steve,,it sounds like one of those character building days.

John..

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Yep, been there, done that, even got the T-shirt. We would like to believe that we can still shoot well under less than optimum conditions with lots of stress and distractions, Some of us can do well with that. But everybody has an ultimate limit. I mean what, this isn't hard enough as it is?

:)

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
Adjust your expectations and treasure the time with your kids.

·
Super Moderator
2,646 Posts
Yes, treasure the time. But maybe keep an emergency kit of spares in the car. - lbg

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet having your wife show up at 11pm is none to soon, wives/mothers are always welcomed sooner than later.....
Katrin showed up with a bar of chocolate and a bottle of Gin, said that I deserved it after working and looking after the kids all weekend.

It's no big deal I look after the kids more the Katrin, she is Coaching 4 to 5 nights a week so I'm taking and collecting them from Kindergarden and spending time with them. I'm popular with the other Mothers (Katrin told me) as I do a lot for/with my Kids.

We have 3 companies to run and two small kids, it can sometimes be bit of a juggling act.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts