Trad Talk Forums banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I like the thought of getting down to one or two that are shot most frequently, though I always find a reason to have more than I need. It would also eliminate a lot of extra archery tackle when you think about all the strings, grips, accessories, and arrows you have for specific bows. Archery is still a very cheap hobby compared to most and you only live once so it’s definitely easy to get carried away lol. I just got an HT-21 and it certainly has the potential to eliminate a lot of bows from my house (don’t tell my wife that). I find myself holding on to the ones that get shot most and those that would be hard to replace if I did ever let them go, especially longer wood bows since I have a long draw length and they are hard to come by these days. If they no longer get used or make you smile there’s no reason to feel bad about sending them on to someone that will enjoy them more.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Archery is like real estate you make money when you buy it and not when you sell.

I have had hundreds of bows. I buy them reasonably so I can break even or loose the shipping when I sell.

In the old days there was no internet or used bow market places. Back then we had one bow and stuck with it. We all shot better by having just one. At least I did.

It is fun collecting and trying different bows though.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I’ve got a bow on order which is likely to arrive in beginning of Autumn . . .

which call “My Last Bow”.

( . . . time will tell . . . )

regards,

John

Bow Plant Field archery Arrow Bow and arrow

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had an Oneida years ago and wish I would have kept it, that is one bow I may buy one day. I am just fascinated with the Oneida designs.
I know. Interesting technology. Still thinking of setting it up for barebow compound, as an option.

·
ryan brodrick
2,155 Posts
All I need

27”
ATF-X primary target recurve setup 42lb
Xceed barebow
Xpro2 light weight target recurve setup 23lb

——————
25”
rcx100 in bow case sad face
Uprolite w/hex5 wood xlong barebow

66” black tail Colombian longbow mild r/d

NEED : wooden (lam or self) bow for long draw length of 31.5”. 45-50lb.

and some new mxt10 limbs.
And that’s it.
And another sight.
and these arrows.
And this.
this green string jig.
and that’s it. That’s all I need.
and this!

Plant Street fashion Art Grass Vintage clothing
Plant Street fashion Art Grass Vintage clothing

·
Registered
605 Posts
I did same thing, pile up stuff, until there’s just too much… or buy a deal because it’s a deal and you wanna play around with it… I usually break even on things or just loose shipping, sometimes make 50$…I’ve got all my stuff for sale except a couple Dalaa risers and 2 sets of limbs, toxo 1 piece, and I picked up a toelke chinook… I know now I can’t have 1-2, and I can’t sell bows I love to shoot so know I have 3, and 1 on the way, because again, a good deal and I may love it too!!, o thing wrong with it… I wish I had the time, space,and money for 50-60 bows like Ren, but I’m sure that didn’t happen overnight

·
Registered
401 Posts
All I need

27”
ATF-X primary target recurve setup 42lb
Xceed barebow
Xpro2 light weight target recurve setup 23lb

——————
25”
rcx100 in bow case sad face
Uprolite w/hex5 wood xlong barebow

66” black tail Colombian longbow mild r/d

NEED : wooden (lam or self) bow for long draw length of 31.5”. 45-50lb.

and some new mxt10 limbs.
And that’s it.
And another sight.
and these arrows.
And this.
this green string jig.
and that’s it. That’s all I need.
and this!

View attachment 35733 View attachment 35733
And this lamp.... The Jerk is a great movie...

I did same thing, pile up stuff, until there’s just too much… or buy a deal because it’s a deal and you wanna play around with it… I usually break even on things or just loose shipping, sometimes make 50$…I’ve got all my stuff for sale except a couple Dalaa risers and 2 sets of limbs, toxo 1 piece, and I picked up a toelke chinook… I know now I can’t have 1-2, and I can’t sell bows I love to shoot so know I have 3, and 1 on the way, because again, a good deal and I may love it too!!, o thing wrong with it… I wish I had the time, space,and money for 50-60 bows like Ren, but I’m sure that didn’t happen overnight
I think a lot of us probably wish we had the time and money to have 50-60 bows like Ren. Can you imagine? Shoot a different bow every day for a month and a half to two months. Every one would feel almost like a new bow...

·
Registered
245 Posts
If that would make you happy, it is you I guess. I love to collect bows. I have 50 year old bows in great shape and when my grandson is my age, he will have one hell of a collection of 100 year old bows!

There is a solution to only shooting one ore 2. Make your storage of the other bows harder to access. My bows are hung on the beams of our log house. It takes a 2 step stool to get to them. Except the 2 that I shoot regularly.

This has helped. I still enjoy once in a great while getting a bunch of them down and spending a blissfull morning relaxing and shooting them.

Then to look up from my easy chair ans see them brings a smile on my face.

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
I've been through this MORE THAN once. you guys see my for sale ads. seen the cycle.
My high number might have been in 2011 or so, I remember laying them all out once and I had 22. I was trying them all to learn what I liked & didn't like.
MOST OF THE TIME after 2013 or so I have had no more than 8 or 9 bows. I know when I list stuff & then go get it down and mess with it - adjust something - take a picture - it is like an OLD FRIEND. Selling is pretty brutal.
But I'm convinced it's best FOR ME not to have a lot of bows.
So I just bought my last riser, sending off money today.
Seriously. I mean it guys.
GIL YOU CAN't DO IT. :love:

Reactions: JPH and GilV

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
My wife calls it “The Pattern”! When I start buying she says, “do you see it?”, meaning the pattern. I now say, “I do!”.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts