Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always liked collecting bows. When I find a bow I like I try to collect them. I did it with Dale Dye, Soveriegn, Black Widow, Hill, Bear, Jack Harrison (had the largest collection in the world 23) and now Das.

I always had the goal of One Bow and Two Strings as my signature says. I did it once with a Jack Harrison longbow. The next day Jack Harrison contacted me and told me he would build a bow for me. Next thing I knew I had 23.

With Das I did the same thing. I found now that I really like 21” risers. I have an Elite and I plan on finding a used HT21. The Elite will be for indoor target and 3d. The HT21 will be for hunting and 3d.

If I can get down to 2 bows, I only need two sets of limbs. So limbs will go too.

I have a Gen1, 2 Gen2s and a Dalaa. I have two Jack Harrison’s left also. They would all have to go. I have done this before and found that once the bows were sold, I have no idea where the money went or what I spent it on and now I don’t have the bows either.

It would be nice to just have one bow to shoot, instead of playing with all these combinations.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
3 has always been good for me. I feel guilty having more than that. I only have two armz... therein lies the true plight of archer homosapien. Well, if you are only going to have one or two I would say elite and ht21 are ideal...my plan is homemade 19 and 23, and a longbow...and a 27", oh crap! I've exceeded again

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Anton,
If you're thinking about a 27" I might have something for sale in a month, depending on how this GT29 works for me.

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
GILLEY-V, it's good to have a plan. I am wishing you success in executing the plan. HOLDING TO IT later on is the tough part for me.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ive noticed that the same guys who feel compelled acquire more and more bows till they have massive collections are often the same guys who feel compelled to only own 1 or 2 bows later.

I suspect it has more to do with emotion than logic at both ends. But Im no psychologist.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My kids aren’t into Trad and I am 68. I keep jumping back and forth between bows which isn’t helping my shooting right now. I didn’t think a longer riser had any benefit for me as a hunter, but after trying to tune for a fixed crawl I can see and feel the difference between the two lengths. Forgiving and stable we’re foreign words in the past but I see it with more mass and length in the riser.

Why keep them so my grubby hands can hold them at times and have them sit on a rack.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3 has always been good for me. I feel guilty having more than that. I only have two armz... therein lies the true plight of archer homosapien. Well, if you are only going to have one or two I would say elite and ht21 are ideal...my plan is homemade 19 and 23, and a longbow...and a 27", oh crap! I've exceeded again
Anton you should be ashamed, 4 bows. I will help you attain your goal by buying you HT21.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Well, if that woks for you, that's what's important. I'm at 6, although one just sits there, as a nostalgic reminder, of then I tried to shoot compound back in the early 80s. Keep thinking I should let go the Oneida, which would take me down to 4, 2 Bears, and 2 ILF, one 21" and one 25". Might be the way to go. Haven't shot the Oneida in probably 8 years now...

·
Registered
800 Posts
I don’t like having too much of anything but I noticed early on many have a lot of bows. Just like with guns I buy and sell until I find what suits me best. Three years in and I’ve bought and sold about a dozen bows, but now I’m set on three ILF bows, each has a purpose, and one longbow, four is my limit and I’m good with what I have.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Well, if that woks for you, that's what's important. I'm at 6, although one just sits there, as a nostalgic reminder, of then I tried to shoot compound back in the early 80s. Keep thinking I should let go the Oneida, which would take me down to 4, 2 Bears, and 2 ILF, one 21" and one 25". Might be the way to go. Haven't shot the Oneida in probably 8 years now...
I had an Oneida years ago and wish I would have kept it, that is one bow I may buy one day. I am just fascinated with the Oneida designs.

·
Administrator
867 Posts
I'm an anti-packrat so if I'm not using something I need to get rid of it (my wife eventually found out why things were "disappearing"). The most bows I've ever had at one time was five and I recently just went from three to two bows. Nowadays I only have time to shoot my hunting bow and its backup so I sold my target bow (still got another pair of limbs to sell). If the real world ever lets up I'd like to start trying out more limbs and risers again.

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
I have 4 risers and a few extra sets of limbs.
I will sell off some limbs after I get what I want to find out with my draw board I recently put together.
Gil is my hero. 'Course so is Ren. haha

• Haha
Reactions: rsarns

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
if I did not already have the DAS gen1 prototype riser GIL - - I would be on that Gen1 from Louisiana for sure.

Reactions: rsarns
1 - 20 of 65 Posts