Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for kicks, I decided to wear a heart rate monitor while shooting a league FITA 450 round (45 arrows, 18 meters, 40 cm 10 ring FITA target). What I found was that my heart rate increased from the mid to high 70's at rest between ends, to first the mid 80's, and finally the mid 90's. It was definitely driven by nerves. I had one end where I was shooting my last arrow for a perfect 30. My heart rate jumped to 100, and I screwed the pooch, badly. It was interesting watching how quickly my heart rate would go up while shooting, and return to normal after finishing an end.

Total time for the round: 1:06.
Total calories burned: 271
Average heart rate: 86
Max heart rate: (the meter says 166 but I don't believe that, the largest I saw was the 100).

This was my second league shoot with my stringwalking setup. It worked much better than last week after some additional tuning last Sunday. Also, I screwed the nock point up a few turns while warming up. The arrows were flying well, and on the center line, rather than scatting all over the place, like last week. My form was not good. I am not reproducing my normal form yet with the indoor crawl. I am also getting some target panic. I have to work on shooting the same form with a crawl, as I do three under and split. Some of it I think is shooting indoors. I am not real comfortable indoors or with short shots. I will have to work through that.

·
Barebow recurve
945 Posts
Very interesting! I imagine that things like Fitbit and Fuelband will produce a lot of insights into athletic performance and physiological response that were only able to be tested in labs before. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
Very cool Hank and I would like to see my own results as compared to people at the top. Do they experience the same anxiety as the rest of us and shoot through it, or are they past the anxiety stage and comfortable shooting in those situations?

·
Civil but Disobedient
10,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Five years ago I flew to New Mexico to shoot indoor Nationals. Just before I left, I discovered that my blood pressure medication was WADA restricted and had to go off cold turkey since I did not have time to get a therapeutic use exemption. I had two episodes of heart racing, one each day. They lasted a couple of ends. I felt like I had the jitters and shot pretty low scores. My BP must have been way over the 100 I hit this past week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts