Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I met John I was having a beer with Paul Vogel at Twin Oaks. John stopped by to borrow Paul's shaft cutter to tune some arrows - this was on Friday afternoon of Trad worlds and John was retuning his set up.

My first shoot of the year is tomorrow and on Thursday I realized that a) my bow wasn't IBO legal yet b) Olivia and I had three shootable arrows between us and c) while I had done a basic tune on my new shafts I hadn't come close to fine tuning.

A trip to the machine shop on Friday solved the bow issue.

A little time fletching and glueing got Olivia and I 6 shootable arrows a piece.

Pretty happy with how these shafts tuned up - fletched and bare at 25 yards. I'm also liking this arrow it's a CXL 150 with 95 grains up front and razor fletch feathers with a real hard helical and a beiter insert nock. I need to shoot it a bunch more to get it dialed into my subconscious and develop confidence in it. But I don't see me changing it this season.

Now let's just hope the roads aren't crap for the drive over the pass to Spokane in the morning.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I like to retune my WA BB stringwalking rig the night before the WSAA State 3D shoot for gap shooting and then relearn my gaps on the practice range the next morning. Keeps me sharp.

-Grant

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Matt, I've seen both you and Olivia shoot and I don't want to to put a dampner on things for you, but I can't see you achieving the level of perfect arrow flight that Demmer gets with that set up. His arrows are just perfection in flight, you know that 😜

Good luck to you both tomorrow, shoot strong and have fun bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Your are half way there Matt. Now you just have to shoot good :). Good luck to you two tomorrow. I'm still punching paper. One more week left.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Matt, I've seen both you and Olivia shoot and I don't want to to put a dampner on things for you, but I can't see you achieving the level of perfect arrow flight that Demmer gets with that set up. His arrows are just perfection in flight, you know that 😜

Good luck to you both tomorrow, shoot strong and have fun bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can only hope to achieve the level of laser beam tune that Mr Demmer gets.

Matt

·
Registered
6,389 Posts
I thought everybody had to change their gear the night before? I've got a shoot in the morning and due to a big form change I'm shooting 5" high. I'll be out in the yard using the headlights to get it dialed in for the morning.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Last time I was with Demmer on a IBO course he was tuning at every Target ! I didn't know you could turn those plungers that far that fast. He had that deer in the headlights look when we left for Louisville. LOL Matt, you two have a great shoot ! Cal

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Last time I was with Demmer on a IBO course he was tuning at every Target ! I didn't know you could turn those plungers that far that fast. He had that deer in the headlights look when we left for Louisville. LOL Matt, you two have a great shoot ! Cal
You had enough time to post this and not the write-up about yourself that everyone is patiently waiting for? Just sayin. :)

·
Victim of Geography
1,160 Posts
I'm sort of lost here.

I know Mr. Demmer is a top shooter but are the remarks about his lazer tuning tongue in cheek?

I tried a search on my phone but failed.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I shot 3D today with a guy who told me a story about Demmer. The guy saw John shooting and was going to offer some tuning advice because his arrows were flying like they were on a roller coaster or something. Then he saw where the arrows were hitting and didn't say anything about it. Lol.

Seriously though I didn't notice any odd flight at the state indoor last year. Maybe it's just the 3D setup?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I shot 3D today with a guy who told me a story about Demmer. The guy saw John shooting and was going to offer some tuning advice because his arrow's were flying like they were on a roller coaster or something. Then he saw where the arrows were hitting and didn't say anything about it. Lol.

Seriously though I didn't notice any odd flight at the state indoor last year. Maybe it's just the 3D setup?
They are talking about every single ibo trd setup I shot. Lol. When I go back to trd for the ibo, I can guarantee that I will go back to the terrible arrow flight. Lol.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'm sort of lost here.

I know Mr. Demmer is a top shooter but are the remarks about his lazer tuning tongue in cheek?

I tried a search on my phone but failed.
I can tune with the best of them. Don't let the tell you other wise. :) I tune stringwalking and indoor shooting really well. It's the tuning when im restricted on rules for certain classes that is suspect. I tune for my desired result not necessarily arrow flight. Arrow flight gets a little wild sometimes, but end result is normally pretty good..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts