Trad Talk Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well for the first time in six (6) years I missed my Spring bear hunt in Idaho, something about "work" I suppose. Luckily, I got a call from a buddy of mine I usually hunt with and got news of his beautiful chocolate color phase boar he shot last week with an Osage selfbow and stone point. Here's his story along with some pics.

Tom had seen good sign during the first two days of the hunt but it was on the third evening as he got on stand that he immediately noticed movement to his left. It was a young boar ambling into the bait site as if he didn't have a care in the world. Tom sat tight knowing that the young bears are the best "Big Bear" alarms because they may get run off by an older hungrier bear. Forty fives minutes elapsed and little hungry bear was still munching when Tom caught some movement directly in front of him just under a ridge line. A large dark form began creeping into the bait site ever so slowly directly toward little bear. Within a ten minute span this large boar slowly and quietly crept within two feet of little bear. When little bear caught sight of Big Bear out of the corner of his eye little bear went airborne in an attempt to GET OUT OF THERE! Big Bear false charged little bear but little bear just wouldn't give up his position, now 50 feet away. After a huff and puff from Big Bear little one finally gave up and just walked back into the timber. Now that the site was clear of any other bears Big Bear began to devour the bait site. After 20 minutes elapsed Tom finally wrangled a position to take his shot, he drew his bow but Big Bear quartered away at the last second. With everything in his will power Tom slowly let down his draw, silently without ever giving away his position. As Big Bear finally turned again he gave Tom that perfect shoulder forward heart lungs exposed shot as he began his draw. With his fingers increasing pressure on the string he finally came to anchor, this time for keeps. He settled in, held and just relaxed his fingers as his stone pointed cedar arrow made its way to Big Bear, nine (9) yards away. The arrow hit, big bear CRASHED out of site and the forest went silent. Tom came down off his perch and started the tracking of Big Bear but he knew the hit was good and it wouldn't be long. Big Bear gave up his spirit within sight of his stand coming to rest against a tree at the ridgeline. Tom's accomplishment is nothing short of AMAZING, a Big Bear, Osage Selfbow and a flint knapped stone point. Tom's ancestors would be proud. Well done Tom!

Nothing like a "selfie" while bear hunting.

Beautiful BIG hide.

Back at camp, hunting buddy Don can't believe it.

How lethal is a flint knapped arrow?

I will be in Fall bear camp, Sept. 14-21st. If you want to join me shoot me a PM and I'll send you the outfitters info. Good luck to all chasing bruins this Spring.

LBL

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Lets see, a professional (lawyer) that can't clear his scedule for a bear hunt,,,,,,,,,,,,something wrong with this picture dont you think? :) :)

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Nice bear and great story.....he should be proud alright.

Yeah I am missing spring bear...well hunting in general...hell shooting a bow period now for 6 months shooting and 1.5 years hunting......time to get out of the desert and back to someplace that has trees and lakes and rivers.....and BEARS or even wildwife and LESS PPL.

46 here yesterday...yeah tha's celsius....jer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts