Trad Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all I want to shoot now is Traditional, Recurves and eyeing a Long Bow. I have been HIT by the Trad Bug HARD.
How many here swing both ways, Traditional and Compound? Just interested.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Once I became proficient enough to hunt with a recurve, I kept my compound four more years and never shot it one time. I finally decided to sell it since it was only loosing value every year it sat unused.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just sold my compound to a friend, so this will be the first time in 15 years of shooting a bow that I will be without compound. After shooting traditional for 4 years (dabbling for the first 2), this past hunting season was the first where I was perfectly at ease having a recurve to backup my recurve. I do enjoy shooting compound for target, but sadly there doesn't seem to be enough time in a day to practice with the barebow, so trying to find time to shoot anything else just seems overwhelming.

·
markliep
687 Posts
I primarily shoot stickbows because they're pretty & performing well with them appeals to my simpler side (though it shouldnt) but whenever I put down my occasionally shot Barnsdale ClassicX I always wonder why I don't shoot it more because of the feel of the shot off a long ATA bow using fingers - put me down as a contented cross shooter - M

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess a compound could be a good back up in the field, if I needed a back up, but so could my recurve be a back up for another Trad.
The compond cash could be put toward that Long Bow my eye is STUCK on.
All the decisions......

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
I've been almost exclusively a recurve and longbow shooter for over 20 years. But along the way I've owned a few compounds including a long ATA bow set-up for NFAA Barebow.
Recently I decided that I wanted to give Freestyle a try simply because the competition is fierce and you've always got someone good to shoot against. It's been really fun and it's teaching me a lot about how I want to shoot a stickbow.

I split my time roughly even between the two.

-Grant

·
finger shooter
3,325 Posts
I started out 50 some years ago (yes I am that old) with a longbow, then a recurve and then one day I saw me one of them compounds.... I was strictly a hunter then. I shot with fingers and no sight compound hunting for close to 30 years. Then I switched to a sight, and (gasp) a release in 99. Even started shooting some more 3D's and was getting competitive. Switched back to longbow and recurve in 2003, sold all my CP's. A few years back I was tired of not having anyone else in my class to shoot against and started shooting in the BH class also. Really enjoy that class and the people, however at the State and local level there is NO competition. All the top shooters are FS in my State, so I have started shooting FS also. Not sure yet, but looks like after Louisville I may make the switch over and shoot strictly FS for a while. I still love shooting my recurve, but when the closest competition is 70 points behind you, its not any fun. If I lived in a place where I shot against a lot of the guys on here I'd probably never switch. I hate the word "trad" but longbows and recurves are a great road to take... enjoy the adventure.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I started BC(before compound) but switched in the late '70s, early '80s for about thirty years. I still dabbled with onestrings occasionally but hunted primarily with wheels. Two years ago I passed my compound down to my son and picked up a recurve again. I did buy another compound last year but after a month of grabbing my longbow every time I wanted to shoot I finally realized where my heart was and sold it to buy another recurve.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I own a few compounds. I've a Brown Bear,(wood riser compound) that I'll likely roll into a warf, that I shoot fingers, barebow and a newer Bear that I keep for when the kids wanna be taught that the old man can pop a dime and a Jennings that got me back into flinging arrows. Rarely shoot any of 'em. Lots of recurves and lots of longbows that I shoot occasionally. Quinns and a couple of warfs that I shoot almost every day.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I still own and shoot a small stable of ''Finger Friendly" compound bows...Mostly Hoyts, all though I recently sold my Pro Elite, and Ultra Elite....My favorite wheelbow to shoot is probably my ProTec with LX Pro limbs, and old Hoyt E-Wheels...I just like shooting Bows.........Take Care.......Jim

·
Premium Member
12,103 Posts
Longrifle346 - said "every time I wanted to shoot I finally realized where my heart was and sold it to buy another recurve"
Michael!! you sold your heart to buy a recurve? That is so TRAD !!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I still own my very first compound it's a hand me down bear whitetail II with 6 wheels, and my very first brand new compound a PSE (I don't know which model). They have been decorations in my garage for 24 years now. I occasionally point them out to my grandkids of what I shot in the good old days, then I take them in my man cave and show them my stable of recurves. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Hello
Just sold 4 top Hoyt wheel bows. Ultra Elite and Vantage Elite . Have 2 to go. And 2 to keep.
With one of these bows I have to keep. There is a new bow type system coming out for it. Would like to lay a tab on that bow system action. Limb s are.3/4" makeing a 2 inch wide limb.[ Later

Bought 2 ILF recurves. Convertad a Barnsdale wheel bow, over to ILF.
Now just need the weather to break. For longer yards.
To see how my ego handles that.ha ha. Later

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
Most times I have a "Hanker'in"?....it's closely followed by a "Spanker'in" while I take a moment to kick my own azz! LOL!

for me it was like one of those wife deals....where you grow to hate her thinking you'd be better off with the more desirable mistress but then wind up missing the wife after she's gone awhile...such was the case with my finger wheelie a couple years back...I neglected her, took her for granted and just let'er hang until?...I had a hanker'in to divorce her and did...and it took a good year or so...but then one day I said..."Dang...I didn't shoot it much at all but I sure did like drawing it on ocassion as it acted like a draw/form check device."...where I'd go..."Ooooh...Ahhh...there we go...that's my proper form!"...and they don't make many good finger pounds these days...as about 99.999% of'em are well under 40"s ATA...2 years later?...about 2 months ago?...I snagged a 41" ATA Hoyt Protec w/ Cam 1/2's...for $275 shipped TMD....ordered a fresh set of BCY "X" String and Cables from JBK, pressed the bow, re-laced it...dialed in the DL...and it just hangs there...most of the time...but every now and then?...I put a quiver or two through it...just to remind me....but it ain't going nowhere as it's hard to find a good woman these days. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I, like Longrifle, am BC. Over the years I switched back and forth, always owning both a recurve and a compound, swearing off one then the other. Finally, last year I sold the only compound I had. I believe I have once and for all settled the fight within myself and will shoot either one of my recurves or longbows until I can shoot no more. UhOh, another fight brewing--- longbow or recurve. Recurves winning at the moment.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts